11's on a PRS?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by squeally dan, Aug 30, 2006.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I have a PRS I have been suing for several years. I am thinking of changing the 10's that are on it now to 11's. I almost did this a few yeras ago and had a tech tell me that PRS's "do better" with 9's or 10's. THe singer in my band has us tuning down 1/2 step now and the tens are too flabby for my taste. I think the 11's will sound better also. ANybody have any expereince with this? DO I need to take it to atech and have it "st up for 11's" or can I just put them on and check the intonation?

THANKS!

2. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I put 11's on all my electrics. I've never had to adjust the PRS bridges. I do better with 11's. I play so much acoustic, I need a little resistance, or I tend over-squeeze the hell out of chords.

3. mesaspeedlab

mesaspeedlab Member

the only time I could get my PRS to stay in tune or intonate was with 11s....not bashing PRS, just my experience. This was with a SAS and Singlecut, both with the floating trem :AOK

4. nek

nek Member

The string slots in the nut may bind with 11's. A tech will have all the specialized files necessary to open them up. He also provides a butt to kick if the work goes wrong.

5. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

If I put 11's on and they work, do I need to do anything with the nut. Is it possible that the 11's may already fit it? In other words will I be able to tell if the 11's don't fit the nut? I would rather not have another man touching my nut.:eek:

6. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I didn't have to widen the nut slots on my McCartys.

7. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

If they aren't wide enough will hte string actually not fit in to the slot?

8. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

Everyone else pretty much covered it.

No adverse issues regarding 11's related to tone, intonation or playability.

Nuts will have to be reslotted to accept the larger stings.

Going to bones nuts was a pleasant suprise, particularly on the HB.
    The 99 McBrazie just got ivory.......

Life is good.

9. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

If the 11's physically fit in to the slots, do I need any nut work?

10. brad347

brad347 Member

Your guitar will answer that question for you. If you experience any binding/tuning problems, then yes. If no, then you're set.

11. joel

joel Member

I use 11's on my HB with no modification. But the G & B strings do sometimes stick a bit in the nut when tuning. So I get by, but if I let someone work on the nut I'd have one less irritation in my life. /jd

12. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

No you don't.

13. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

The slots have to be wide enough and rounded on the bottom for the string to slide without binding. Tuning problems can result it the slots are too tight for the string to slide freely.

New nuts are options.

Also, most PRS nuts I've seen have the string buried in the nut.
    Most custom cut nuts have the nut level with the top of the treble stings and the bass stings inset perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 of the sting diameter into the nut. Less chance of binding.

But other people here know much more than me....

14. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

Being a Fender guy, I can't deal with anything less than 11 to 50s on any of my PRS guitars.

15. Wally1

Wally1 Member

I use D'addario Xl 145's (12-54) on 3 of my PRS guitars. My band uses drop D 1 full step down (CGCFAD). I also use the PRS adjustable stoptail so they will intonate properly. I use bone nuts cut for my string Gauges. I've had great luck with my setup and the sound is HUGE! They also seem to intonate better that My Les Pauls do in this tuning and I attribute that to the longer scale length.

16. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

If the guitar was orignally slotted for tens, I would say no. If the slots are tight you will hear a little pinging when tuning. A bit of pinging dosen't matter much (I have some pinging on my acoustic). If it is pinging too much they'll need to be widened.

17. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I'm using an Earvana nut on it right now.

18. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

My one good experiance with PRS was a HB I with 11s and it sounded and played better than any other PRS Ive ever played. Id go for it without a doubt.

19. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Played my '92 CE24 with 11's for years. The nut needed a bit of work, and the winged tunners were fine. I used 11's on a SC I had as well. Non adjustible stoptail workd great. Used them on one of my ATII's for a while as well. I liked the 10-52 as an option as well. The 52 was pushing it with the winged tunners IIRC..

20. Chops

Chops Gold Supporting Member

I read that the great David Grissom strings all of his PRS with 11's. I have a Custom 24 with 10's that could definitely use 11's.