11s on a Telecaster, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stratzrus, Sep 14, 2019.

1. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

Who cares what I or anyone else thinks. If you like them, use them.

Roark likes this.
  2. Tritone

Tritone Member

I like 11s on all my guitars. I rarely do bends though.

stratzrus likes this.
  3. muzishun

muzishun Member

Without exception! o_O

stratzrus likes this.
  4. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I have used .11’s on my Tele since 1994, and I see no reason to change. I love the tone, I like the way it forces me to think about my note choices I can bust out my slide without worrying about fret clang.

stratzrus likes this.
  5. CliffordReid

CliffordReid Member

6. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Just reading the headline of this post my fingers started bleeding. Never 11s on a Tele. This isn’t the muscle and iron man’s board.

stratzrus likes this.
  7. lavinci

lavinci Supporting Member

8. lavinci

lavinci Supporting Member

no I switched from 10s to 9s on all my telecasters. I prefer the lighter touch of the strings... since I play with amplification most of the times.

9. DCross

DCross Supporting Member

I just put 12's on my ASAT Classic. With a wound G. Lovin' it, but to be completely honest, I'm keeping it tuned to Eb, which makes it easier to play.

stratzrus likes this.
  10. aflynt

aflynt Member

I use 11s on my Teles (and all the others as well), but I keep the action pretty low and the neck pretty straight. It's really not that big a deal if the guitar is set up that way. The frets need to be pretty level or you'll negate the benefits of the bigger strings by introducing lots of fret buzz.

-Aaron

stratzrus likes this.
  11. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I use both 10s and 11s on Teles. They both have their place, tone, and feel. Give it a go.

stratzrus and friend33 like this.
  12. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I'll have to try them to know if I like them. In order to try them I may need to get the nut slots widened. So I'm mulling this over before making the leap.

I just thought I'd check in with some other TGP members to see what their thoughts were in the hope that it would guide my decision whether to try it or not. The fact that it works for a lot of other players is encouraging.

13. lefty kwan

lefty kwan Member

I was thinking about switching from 10-46 to the ghs ej 10-50 (10,13,18 - 50) kind of starting on 10’s and then moving to 11’s from the 18 -50. Probably try some the next time I string.

14. Northerner

Northerner Member

I love Tomastik BeBop 11s on a tele

15. e???

e??? Member

If you were here in the room with me, I'd probably make some Schwarzenegger impression about how you're weak... or maybe "but zee tone!!!" Or something like that

1973Marshall likes this.
  16. eichaan

eichaan Member

I use 10-52. Stays in tune and feels right for me.

17. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I tried 11s on my Telecasters - went back to 10s after a few months. The resistance was too much for me.
    However I have a special recording only Telecaster - and that has 11s on it - and it sounds amazing enough
    such that I leave them on. But for live work - no way can I tolerate that high of a gauge over a tour.

stratzrus likes this.
  18. JamCave Studio

JamCave Studio Member

I've tried 8's all the way to 12's on my Tele.

I will say the higher you go the fatter the tone is. At least on my Single coil Tele with a 1962 Fender RI in the bridge and maple gloss neck. Also the 11's and 12 heavy strings didn't sit in the nut correctly. I put a TusqXL nut on my Tele. If kept 11's on I would have had to cut the nut at least on the heaviest string. Rode way too high.

The 11's felt fine to me, kinda a fight. I settled at 10-46 Elixir Optiweb's for all my electric guitars.

stratzrus likes this.
  19. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

I put them on all mine.

stratzrus likes this.
  20. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

That's similar to what I was thinking. 11s would be better for recording and occasional practice just to give my hands a workout but my gigging guitars all have 10s and I plan to stick with that.

The Teles with 11s would only be for occasional use, as they are already even thought they have 10s on them now.

Part of the reason why I'm considering 11s on the Tele is to fatten the tone as well.

The whole reason I started this thread is related to your experience that 11s didn't sit in the nut properly. I think most Fender solidbodies, and definitely the American Elites, ship with the nuts cut for 9s. The first thing I did when I got the Elite Tele was take it to my tech, have the fretboard lubed and have the nut filed and the intonation set for Mangan Round Core Pure Nickle 10s. I probably could have gotten away with just changing the strings but I wanted it optimized for the strings I'd be using.

I'm pretty sure I'd need to get the nut filed again (as well as intonation adjusted) for the 11s and then it really wouldn't be ideal for 9s or 10s anymore, gauges that I've been historically more comfortable with. I'd almost certainly need a new nut if I ever wanted to go back to 9s and I like to keep my guitars all original unless I'm absolutely certain I never want to sell it. I've been back and forth on whether or not to keep the Elite Tele. Right now I'm thinking it's a keeper but not with so much certainty that I could say with confidence that I'm never going to sell it.

The few guitars I've had 11s on I really liked even though string bending wasn't ideal for my preferences but it's a commitment that gives me pause.

I'm still on the fence about it but heavily leaning toward putting 11s on the Elite and seeing how I feel about it before putting them on the American Deluxe HH FMT. I love the neck and the Jazz tones I get out of the Deluxe so going to 11s on it does make sense since I seldom do bends when playing Jazz. It's just that the Deluxe is one of my very favorite guitars and putting 11s on it would make it more of a specialty guitar than it already is so I'm hesitant, more than I am on the Elite. The Elite is already very much a specialty guitar for me so putting 11s on it wouldn't change that.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    JamCave Studio likes this.