12" AND 10" spkrs in a single cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by haslar, Jan 3, 2006.

1. haslar

haslar Member

Has anyone tried mixing 10" and 12" speakers in a single cab?
    1x10" + 1x12" ?
    2x10" + 2x12" (as in the Gibson Goldtone cab)?

Do you reckon it's a good idea?

Thanks for the insight !

2. LarryN

LarryN Member

I reckon it is. I'm trying to find time to do just that. I have a Rola-Celestion G10-60 to team up with a G12-65 Rola-Celestion. I think it's worth trying. Each type has it's own unique response. I had a 4X10 paired with a Deluxe Reverb with a greenback, and it was amazing! I'm thinking a 2X10 with a 12 would be great, also.

3. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I've got a Bob Burt antique pine Twin 1012V cabinet, with 2 x 10"s and 2 x 12"s, each pair diagonal.

10" alnico Weber California
    10" ceramic Eminence Ragin Cajun
    12" alnico Fane AXA12
    12" ceramic Scholz

Each speaker is 8 ohms with its own jack, and I can use any single speaker, or any combination of two, making a total of 10 different speaker choices in one cabinet, including 4 different 10" x 12" combos, all of which are excellent.

Go for it.

4. e-z

e-z Member

The Juke 1210 has 1x12 and 2x10 in it. It has a very full, enveloping sound.

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

I have 10&12" speakers in my Fargen Dual Classic combo...after much experimentation...20 speakers or more...I have ended up staying with a 12" Eminence Cannabis Rex and 10" Copperhead the longest (about 9 months)...it took about 2 years to do and not too mention the expense but I get a really nice and full balanced tone now...there are tradeoffs to mix and matching speakers and I still get curious from time to time to try other speakers seeking to better what I already have but I guess I am pretty happy with this pairing...

Chow,
    Seegs

6. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I've been using a KJL Clubowner 12/10 cab for years with my Komet 60 and have no complaints once I found the right speaker combination....12" ceramic for a tight bottom and a 10" alnico for a looser sweeter top end.

7. woude

woude Member

sounds like a great idea to me! I like the combination of 10"speakers and 12"speakers. So far I like the 10" to be jensen alnico's and the 12" to be ceramic celestions (v30's pair up even better than greenbacks imo) when I play with my own amp. :AOK

8. rabbit

rabbit Member

I´m surprised that some of you like to mix various different speakers. I don´t have experience with that but once read that it is difficult to find speakers that really complement each other...

9. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I mix a 10 & 12 together in a closed back front ported cab (both ceramic magnet Scumback speakers made to my specs), and the sound is pretty huge... I must say.

Not to mention lighter than a 2x12...

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I have an open back 212 and an open back 210 with weber blues-they complement each other very nicely...

11. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

It's great to have a lot of options in a convenient package. Variety is the spice of "tone" life!

It's not so difficult, but it does require some experimentation to find ideal combinations for your own setup.

12. toddyjoe

toddyjoe Member

Anybody ever try a 15" and 10" combination? There are some bass cabinets that use it, but I have never tried them for guitar. I have a big Lab Series 1x15" scoop cab that has enough room for a 10" I want to try. I am wondering if I should spend time and money on a new baffle.

13. Valvetrain

Valvetrain Member

I offer a 12x10 combo cab for my 35 to 45 watt amps... normally mix a ceramic 10" for the clarity and punch along with an AlNiCo 12" for the warmth and smooth compression. Weber Signature Series 10" Ceramic (Sig 10S) with the reverse ribbed cone along with a Weber Signature 12" AlNiCo. BOth have the curved seamed cone similar to the old Jensens. This makes a very nice combo at a much lower cost than the Silver & Blue frames... FWIW...

14. billdurham

billdurham Member

I think that what you have to be careful about mixing speaker sizes and types is the sensitivity of the speakers. If one is 3dB more sensitive than the other, you won't hear the other! Maybe this is an obvious thing that is done without question but just wanted to toss it out.

15. Profklamen

Profklamen Member

I have a VHT 45 combo that has 2x10's and 1x12. It sounds great, a very cool combo.

16. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I think Budda has a cab with 2-10's and 2-12's.

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I had a hard time contacting them (mailed many times) but there is a company that makes a thing called an "add-a-baffle". Just Google it if you want to find them. Anyway, it's not difficult to make your own, but nice to have it all done for you...

It is basically a small "frame" that can mount on existing speaker mount screws, and constricts the speaker port down a size. So you can convert a hole from 12" mounting, add the baffle, and then mount a 10" speaker in it.

I am actually first going to use this to make a 2 x 12" into a 2 x 10" cab. But if I find it doesn't do what I wanted, will back it out, and instead make a 4 x 12" Marshall cab into a 2 x 12" + 2 x 10" (keeping the same overall impedance) and see how that sounds.

18. Marty McFly

Marty McFly Member

Why isn't the idea of mixing 12's and 10's more common in amps today? I would think that more of the boutique amp builders, looking to come out with a new tone of their own, would be doing more of this. I've always wondered about it...

19. indytone

indytone Member

Yeah. I wonder too.

I'd really like to buy one, but don't want to spend $500+ for one. What are some good/decent-quality, less expensive companies that make 10/12 cabs?

20. Reeek

Reeek Member