• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

12" Speaker for PRRI Recommendations

jklotz

Silver Supporting Member
I picked up one of the limited edition PRRI's with a 12" Jensen P12Q at GC the other day. I've always loved the princeton circuit, bout don't care for 10" speakers much, so when I saw this thing, it had "me" written all over it. I really like the amp. Plus it just looks cool with the burgundy!

I actually really like it with the Jensen P12Q. Only issue is I plan to gig with it in my classic country gig, which is not a very loud band, but I'm concerned I won't have enough to cut through for solos. So I'm looking for a replacement speaker that is bright, articulate, piano like lows and stays clean, but is more efficient. Is this possible?

Also, how much of a volume increase can I expect from a more efficient speaker?

Thanks.

Peppy

I just bought the Knotty Pine version eleven days ago. The 12" speaker it comes with, the Celestion Cream 90 watt alnico, sonically matches what you are looking for. I realize 90 watts doesn't 'seem' to match up well with the PRRI's power output but it does...surprisingly well.

swiveltung

Not always an option. Often times, it's just the vocs and acoustic in the pa.
Well, hmmm, a p12q is a speaker that I don't like much, except at lower music room volume. Trying to emulate that in a louder more efficient speaker may be hard. There are plenty of good speakers but a louder p12Q sound is the problem I'm having...
You might be better off getting an MXR Micro Amp clean boost to get more volume. If you just want clean alnico sound a Weber Blue Dog is loud , bright and clean with that alnico sound.

jklotz

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys! Quick question: how much of a volume increase can I expect from a more efficient speaker?

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
A Q in a PR is not something I'm looking for, but to each his/her own. To me, it's too bright in that amp. I'd rather have a CTS or N style speaker and deal with the high/low end via the guitar and amp controls.

Prince

Silver Supporting Member
I I just got a '65 PRRI and here is a quick summary for my own findings. I looked at previous threads on TGP, TDPRI, & Gear Slutz to gather these votes.

# of User Votes - Speaker

12 - 12" WGS G12C/S
6 - 12" Weber 12F150
5 - 12" Celestion Gold
4 - 12" Eminence Cannibus Rex
4 - 12" Jupiter 12LC
3 - 12" Weber 12F150A
2 - 12" WGS Black & Blue Alnico
2 - 12" Weber Blue Dog Alnico
Amp Stock Speaker
LE '65 PRRI Knotty Pine - 12" Celestion Cream Alnico
Sweetwater '65 PRRI Tweed - 12" Eminence Cannabis Rex
Fender 65 LE PRRI (Bordeaux) -12"Jensen P12Q
Vintage Sound Vintage 15 - 12" WGS G12C/S
Vintage Sound Vintage 20 - 12" WGS G12C/S
Jackson Fullerton - 12" WGS G12C/S
Allen Sweet Spot - 12" Eminence Red White & Blues
Carr Sportsman - 12" Eminence Red White & Blues
Louis Electric Columbia - 12" Jupiter 12LC
Milkman Sound Creamer - 12" Jupiter 12LC

jklotz

Silver Supporting Member
I I just got a '65 PRRI and here is a quick summary for my own findings. I looked at previous threads on TGP, TDPRI, & Gear Slutz to gather these votes.

# of User Votes - Speaker

12 - 12" WGS G12C/S
6 - 12" Weber 12F150
5 - 12" Celestion Gold
4 - 12" Eminence Cannibus Rex
4 - 12" Jupiter 12LC
3 - 12" Weber 12F150A
2 - 12" WGS Black & Blue Alnico
2 - 12" Weber Blue Dog Alnico
Amp Stock Speaker
LE '65 PRRI Knotty Pine - 12" Celestion Cream Alnico
Sweetwater '65 PRRI Tweed - 12" Eminence Cannabis Rex
Fender 65 LE PRRI (Bordeaux) -12"Jensen P12Q
Vintage Sound Vintage 15 - 12" WGS G12C/S
Vintage Sound Vintage 20 - 12" WGS G12C/S
Jackson Fullerton - 12" WGS G12C/S
Allen Sweet Spot - 12" Eminence Red White & Blues
Carr Sportsman - 12" Eminence Red White & Blues
Louis Electric Columbia - 12" Jupiter 12LC
Milkman Sound Creamer - 12" Jupiter 12LC
Very interesting indeed! Thanks for posting.

InkStained

I have the P12Q in my DRRI, which is a similarly appointed "limited edition."

I like the speaker, but a word of warning: I am not in a band, and the speaker is definitely not efficient.

I picked up one of the limited edition PRRI's with a 12" Jensen P12Q at GC the other day. I've always loved the princeton circuit, bout don't care for 10" speakers much, so when I saw this thing, it had "me" written all over it. I really like the amp. Plus it just looks cool with the burgundy!

I actually really like it with the Jensen P12Q. Only issue is I plan to gig with it in my classic country gig, which is not a very loud band, but I'm concerned I won't have enough to cut through for solos. So I'm looking for a replacement speaker that is bright, articulate, piano like lows and stays clean, but is more efficient. Is this possible?

Also, how much of a volume increase can I expect from a more efficient speaker?

Thanks.

Seth L

The Jensen P12Q is rated at 95 db. The Cannabis Rex is rated at almost 102 db. 3 db is actually doubling your volume, so you would have a significantly louder amp. It's all very subjective, but I love the Cannabis Rex in my Hellhound. I think they're one of the best bargains out there, really.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
I like both of the 12" Alessandro speakers. The Neo he sells and the Eminence GA-SC64. They have similar tone but the Neo has a cleaner, tighter sound.

FiestaRed

My PRRI stack. The cab was built by Mather and that is where the Gold 10" resides. The PRRI is stock, though now I'm tempted to try the 10 inch version of the Eminence GA-SC64.

Prince

Silver Supporting Member
3 db is actually doubling your volume, so you would have a significantly louder amp. .
I believe it is 3db=1 step up in "perceivable" volume. 10db= doubling "perceivable" volume. Now I'm no Acoustician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom