12" Speaker Options for Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by chunkwedge, Aug 27, 2008.

1. chunkwedge

chunkwedge Member

Anyone have any recommendations regarding 12" speakers for a princeton reverb (clone). I want to keep the basic blackface tone but like a full, smooth, non-brittle sound with breakup at moderate levels.

What has worked for you?

2. Blue Fin

Blue Fin Member

Check out Weber speakers.

3. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

It probably won't sound that good in that little cab, according to what I've read from people who tried it. Boxy is how they describe it.
    But the Weber 12F150 is a favorite for blackface amps like the Deluxe Reverb. If you call Teb Weber and tell him what you want, he can recommend something for you.

4. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Many around here go with an Eminence Cannabis Rex with great results in the DRRI. Some don't like to mess with the 10in. mojo of the Princeton, if that's what was in it originally. The CRex is a great spkr. and it won't break your piggy bank.

5. Robertito

Robertito Member

Some of the session guys in LA in the 70s used Celestion Blues. Sounds like it would be a nice match.

6. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

I have a CRex in my BFPR clone & I love it; doesn't sound boxy at all & gigs really well.

7. chunkwedge

chunkwedge Member

thanks for the replies. CR was one particular speaker i was interested as most love it in DR. However DR is a bit brighter sounding to me than PR and was worried it might sound a little dull in this application.

8. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

I have an Emi RWB in my DRRI, it has a little more "Fender-y" high end than the CR at low volumes. I guess it could be the DRRI itself, but both amps had ice-pick highs before I changed out the speakers... both sound great now.

9. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I've had several folks tell me they didn't like what the 12 did to their PR and switched it back to a 10. Doug Hoffman (amp builder, around a lot several years ago) told me that he AB's PRs with 10's and 12" and the tens actually sounded fuller.

I agree with the post above - you can choke off a speaker in too tight a cab. Might be worth exploring other 10's or get a bigger cab. I recently saw a 1x15 PR cab on ebay. If your clone has a multi tap OT, you could also run an extension.

10. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Stick with a 10". Put a Ragin Cajun in there and forget about it.

11. paul14470

paul14470 Member

I found the same thing, I have a 12" baffle for my '70 PR and the 10" Copperhead sounds much better.

12. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

Tried the C rex, I wanted to like it...but just didn't.
    12F150 is best to my ear so far (after trying many different speakers).

13. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

The Emi Copperhead is a great speaker. So is the RW&B.

14. romateo

romateo Member

Which speaker did you finally install? Please let me know... I'm also looking for a 12" speaker for my PR clone (Weber 6A14).

15. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I have tried several 12" speakers in my Princeton Reverbs with good success. My favorite three are below.

12F150 (Weber)
    EV SRO Coffee Can Alnico
    JBL D120F

The Weber 12F150 was the most Fendery of the bunch, the EV SRO was my personal favorite most days, and other days my favorite was the JBL D120F, because both speakers gave more low and high end. The SRO had deeper lows, and the JBL had more pronounce highs. The 12" speakers gave more headroom for fuller cleans in live situations.

I also liked using the original 10" Jensen and an extension cab with a 15" EV SRO.

16. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I'd echo the sentiments that the PR sounds best with a 10" speaker. While the cab is large enough for a 12", it's actually a bit oversized for a 10" which gives it a lot more openness IMO. Emi Copperhead, Ragin' Cajun, Legend 105 are all great 10" American-sounding speakers.