12" speakers for lower wattage (20w) amps, blackface tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bohemianbrian, Feb 21, 2012.

1. bohemianbrian

bohemianbrian Member

Anyone have a suggestion for an awesome 12" speaker that delivers no-compromise blackface tones? want something that really delivers the chewiness of the mids but is very clear and HD. I have a celestion blue that has the clarity i seek, but is more of what I use with my vox style amps and not what I want tonewise from a blackface-ish amp.

I have a 22 watt amp (two rock studio pro) and would like a speaker that is efficient for the wattage. not looking for a 50w speaker; they muddy up in my experience with lower wattage amps.

Thanks!

2. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

I'd check out one of the 25W Weber 12F150 variants. Definitely blackface in tone and will have the texture and presence of the lower wattage coil...

3. Category 5

Category 5 Member

Jenson Neo, 100 watts, but you will get all the amp can deliver, and it will have a smooth top end.

DonR

4. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I wouldn't say that higher power speakers necessarily mud up the tone. I can't recall anyone ever complaining that JBL D120Fs or Weber Californias were too muddy.

My advice is to go for one of the 12A125 or 12A150 variations if you want Jensen-type speaker breakup, a Weber California or JBL D120F if you want big bottom end and quite a bit of brightness that can be easily tamed or a Weber Michigan, Eminence Delta Pro or EVM 12L for big bottom end and not quite as much brightness on the top.

Of course, I basically just said 'use any classic Fender speaker or a Weber clone thereof'.

:p

5. OaklandA

OaklandA Silver Supporting Member

My vote would be for a 12F150 in whatever wattage would work for you. I haven't had the same experience with a 50 watt speaker...in fact just the opposite. But as mentioned, you can get the 12F150 in 25 watt.