12 string electric options?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rob2001, Jan 17, 2008.

1. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I know we have the venerable Ric's out there but they are way out of my price range for a guitar i'd only use in select songs. To be more specific, one song on a recording project. Whats out there that won't break the bank?

2. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

There are Danelectro 12-string re-issues out there. My keeper 12-string is a Hamer Eclipse 12... not the prettiest body shape, but a great player with mini-hums that sounds great.

Try before you buy, though...like many Ricks, the Eclipse's neck can be a little narrow for a 12-string.

3. Tycho

Tycho Member

Right in between the Dano and the Ric -- in fact closer to the Dano in price -- is the Jerry Jones Neptune 12-string. They're well made, they sound great, and they have nice wide necks, unlike Rics.

Remember, though, that only a Ric will sound like a Ric because of the reversed strings. But both the Dano and the JJ come close.

The PRS 12 string plays wonderfully and sounds amazing, but at that point you're back up in Ric territory as far as price is concerned.

4. snarkle

snarkle Member

Someone (no one I know) has a MIJ Strat XII in the Emporium right now, and that might be worth considering...if you don't mind it sounding like Strat. Generally these are well made, have relatively wide necks, and are fully intonatable.

My electric 12 is a 1966 Fender XII, which is also a wonderful guitar, but they're starting to get a little pricey. IIRC, the neck shape is very similar to the Strat XII...much more useable, for me anyway, than a Rickenbacker.

At some point in the distant past I owned a Burns-made Baldwin solidbody electric XII...that was a pleasant surprise, although most came in a truly vile green-to-black sunburst. Mine had been stripped, probably because that's what it had been originally...

And being a Metheny/Goodrick/Burton fan, I've always been intrigued by the Gibson 335/Epiphone Riviera 12-strings, but they're VERY narrow at the nut, which just doesn't work for my paws. If you can deal with that, they might be a good choice, and they seem undervalued on the current vintage market. Or they were the last time I looked...

5. photoguy

photoguy Member

I sold a Ric and picked up an inexpensive Yamaha 303-12 that satisfied that need perfectly. Strat style body w/3 pu's, wide neck, 12 saddle bridge with close string spacing at about 25% the cost of a Ric that was difficult to play.

6. Strat

Strat Member

Fender XII !!! Very easy to play and better sounding than a RIC for most applications. Love mine. DANO XII - if you just need it for a tune or two can't be beat and dirt cheap.

7. Bussman

Bussman Member

Agile. TGPer Thames has a double neck model. He did a review a while back.

8. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

My Hamer Eclipse has never let me down. I've had it for years and its seen plenty of action. Its discontinued from Hamer but I'm sure when they surface it will be reasonably priced.

9. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Thanks much guys. At least I have a direction to start looking. Question...... on the Ric's reversed strings, I take it the small strings are on top? Learn somthing every day! Thanks again, Rob

10. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

I had an Eclipse. Very nicely made guitar, sharp looking, great sound ... but I couldn't live with its extreme neck dive. I replaced it with a Danelectro and haven't looked back. YMMV.

- DB

11. KRosser

KRosser Member

Another vote here for the Jerry Jones electric 12...my favorite one I've ever played...

I have one here but I wish I had time to play it more (damnit....make time....)

12. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I used to have a 620-12 Rick I sold and have have the Dano DC59 reissue 12 which is a great one I got for 200 bucks used and has gotoh tuners and stays in tune and easy to play and sounds great and featherweight and looks like "mother of toilet seat" white. Dean makes a pretty inexpensive semi hollow 12 too. Epi has one too.

13. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

I've got a white sparkle Dano reissue. It's good enough, especially at the price.
    Been Jonesin' for a Rick 660-12 forEVER, tho-
    [​IMG]
    Yummy.

14. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Anyone have one of those $400 semi-holler-bodied Deans?

15. rdamato

rdamato Supporting Member

I have a Purple Sparkle Dano Re-Issue and with a proper set up, it good enough. For 200.00 used, it was a steal!!

16. reeced

reeced Member

Very pleased with this one -
    [​IMG]

Phantom Guitarworks Vox copy (they also do a hollowbody version)

17. Lance

Lance Member

18. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member