12 String for less than 500

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by mightytaco, Feb 14, 2008.

1. mightytaco

mightytaco Member

What are some good guitars to look at. I really want to get a 12 string, but I don't know who makes the best ones. Please help me out.

2. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I think you need another 200 bucks. Alot of good choices in that price range . I have a Takamine I got for around $650 new that sounds great. In that range is Breedlove, Yamaha, Ovation. For $500 you may get something like an Alvarez, Dean or lesser brand.

3. getbent

getbent Member

acoustic--> find a used takamine 70's 12.. they are sweet and about 375.00

electric--> olp or get the fender 12 or used squier venus 12 these'll range you from 250-450.00

4. bunuel

bunuel Member

Keep an eye out for Yamaha acoustic 12s from the '80s--the FG 460 & FG461 12 strings are consistently xlnt & can be found for around $300-$400. They give stuff in the $900 range a run for the money. Another option is very beat ol guilds, if you don't care about cosmetics...If you look long & hard you can find 'em for around $500.

5. kev

kev Member

Indeed - one model to consider is the F-400S

Happy hunting!

6. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

In the garage, fixing stuff my kids broke
    I'd also look at Seagulls and Larivees for acoustics. Damn fine instruments for silly low $$.

7. bynt

bynt Member

I second the Seagulls and would add a Norman Patrick (I think they're the same company).

8. rich-96db

rich-96db Member

I think I paid around $550 for my Seagull S-12 with hard shell case. Highly recommended.

9. teletaylor

teletaylor Supporting Member

+1 for a Seagull! Not solid wood in back or sides but solid cedar top, good action, and overall high quality!

10. Fauxkinbacker

Fauxkinbacker Member

I like the Alvarez that streets for about $380 - a little thin sounding, but very nice nevertheless.

11. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I have a Yamaha FG720S 12 string that cost me ~$200 new. It's really an excellent instrument for the money.

12. george4908

george4908 Member

At this price range, the results are so variable that I think you just need to play a bunch until you hit one that sounds and feels right, regardless of the make or model. I remember stumbling upon a cheap Dillion one day with a body and top that looked like some sort of ash, don't know whether it was or not, but for the price it sounded remarkably good -- full and relatively balanced, with good jangle. Tried a few others and, nope, they didn't cut it. Guitars are complex systems, and sometimes things just come together, regardless of the price range. Sometimes you luck out.

13. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

A while back, I bought a used Guild D4-12 for under $500 that sounded very nice.

14. in a little row

in a little row Member

Had a Yairi DY68 which was wonderful, giannini craviola which was just plan cool looking/sounding They can be had easily in this price range...

j