12-string-in-a-box?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gitarzilla, Feb 27, 2012.

1. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

In the garage, fixing stuff my kids broke
    Anyone make a pedal that'll do a fairly convincing 12-string impersonation? MicroPog maybe? Any others?

2. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

The Micro POG is generally known for that, but its not a super convincing sound IMO. The octave tracking is great, but it doesn't really have the 'chime' of a 12-string. It may be enough for an 'impersonation' though, maybe check out some demos to see if it might fit the bill. I use the lower octave more, which sounds more natural to me, but that is what I got it for anyway. It can be used for several applications, and is one of my favorite pedals.

3. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I've got the POG, MicroPog, & POG2... they all do something a lil different/better than the other. I like the MicroPog for guitar a lot, it'll do nice down & up octaves both.

I love the sound of a 12-string as much as the next Byrds fan, but IMHO, NOTHING & I HONESTLY MEAN NOTHING is gonna put that sweet mythical chime in your generic 6 string... as much as I wish it could, it won't.

That said -- the different POGs can emulate a 12 string pretty damn well, but it really comes down to your ears & how perfect this sound has to be. The detune function of the big/original POG helps this issue tremendously & can really help to 'sweeten' things up quite a bit.

Another off the wall suggestion for a 12 string that isn't a 12 string -- Variax (yes, I realize this isn't a pedal). Also, my Vetta (POD HD series prolly has same stuff these days) has some nice octaves in there & I was able to fine tune some decent 12 string emulations.... but, again - not a pedal. Sorry.

4. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

As much as I love the sound of a 12-string, I don't dig the maintenance of keeping one in tune - that many strings pulls the neck something fierce.
    A fabulous alternative is a Nashville-tuned guitar; I did that with one of my acoustics that had higher action and it's a keeper.

Satriani once said that if you doubled a Nashville-tuned with a regular six-string, you'll have a better 12-string sound than using an actual 12-string.

EDIT: sorry, I realize you said 'in a box'

5. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

A member of the POG family is the best i've found. Adding some detune helps sell it a bit more. BOSS PS-6 is passable also, but really bright. The Morpheus Capo pedal has a 12 string feature too, but the other two are far superior IMHO.

6. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Micro POG with a short modulated delay does it for me.

7. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

T-Rex Octavius also does a pretty good faux 12-string emulation. Surprisingly, the Zoom G1J, which has sounds programmed by John 5, has a number of great handy patches for session guitarist uses, including a 12 string.

8. BenTimages

BenTimages Member

For the 12 years that I played only 12 stringers - two Maton CW80Ds and a Takamine - quite frankly, I found they kept tune very well, and as well as any 6 stringer I've ever owned. I tuned (by ear, b4 electronics) from standard to open D or G constantly. The only tuning issues were in the humid tropics and in extremely hot and dry desert areas, but ALL acoustic timber guitars get affected there.

The POG2 does pretty impressive simulations of the real thing, but my next guitar will be a 12 stringer again.