12 String Rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by trwigg, Sep 4, 2008.

1. trwigg

trwigg Member

OK, I want to buy a 12 string electric and I have been told that the 12 string Ric is the way to go. I took a look at them and am now really confused about models. What is the difference the 300 series and the the 600 series, tonally? What is the difference between "toaster top" and "hi gain" pickups? I have never played a 12 string but have recently heard some 12 string stuff that was interesting and now, I want one. I respect the community here for all of the knowledge available and I hope I am asking the right questions. Thanks in advance for you help and suggestion.

2. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

Don't get fixated on Rics. Try other 12 strings. Rics have a very specific feel to them that isn't for every, resuting from things like their heavily lacquered fretboards.

3. justonwo

justonwo Member

I had a 620/12 for a while. Looks sweet but REALLY hard to play, even for someone with hands as small as mine. I don't know how much wider the 330 or 360 is, but that's a deal breaker in my mind.

4. trwigg

trwigg Member

Thanks for the info guys, that is the type of stuff I am looking for. Any suggestions on brands of electric 12 strings to try?

5. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

300 series = hollowbody
    600 series = solidbody

I have 3 Ricks. You do have to get used
    to them. Also, I use fine grain sand paper on the necks to cut down on the laquer.

6. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

The only RIC 12 String neck I can play comfortably is the 660/12. Why that isn't an option on the 360 series I'll never understand!

I've owned several RICs over the years, and was really into them for a while in the mid-late '80s and into the early '90s. Sold them all when I got a Gibson EDS-1275 and a Hamer Eclipse. Both played/play miles better than the RICs, although nothing sounds exactly like one.

The Fender Electric XII is a nice playing 12 as well, but those have gotten pretty damned expensive in the last 4-5 years.

For something you're not looking to drop a ton of money on, try the Stratocaster XII. It's an import, but the ones I've played (the second generation with the Gotoh bridge v. the '80s/'90s version with the old Electric XII style bridge) have been more than decent.

7. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

As Rick 12s go, the 660-12 has a neck profile that is wider than any other Rick 12 string neck. Most people who have looked into the differences between the two profiles seem to struggle with the narrow spacing on anything other than a 660-12.

I'm used to narrow spacing on my EBMM guitars, but I'd agree that with twice the strings the 660-12 is the only Rick I would plunk down money for at this point. I have owned a 360 6 string and a 330 12 string but they are both long gone.

Another EXCELLENT 12 is the PRS Custom 22-12. It never seemed to attract a lot of attention, and I'm not sure why that is. I suppose the standard PRS objections still apply, but boy is that a HUGE sounding axe.

I have a Danelectro reissue 12 that has done what I needed a 12 to do over the last few years, but I am probably going to sell it and replace it with a Breedlove Atlas Series Acoustic Electric 12 string just to have a 12 that can be played unplugged around the house.

I LOVE the 660-12-it's on my list of "things I'd buy if it weren't for the damn mortgage". I especially like it in the custom colors-If I could find one in Desert Gold I'd probably pay stupid money for it.

8. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

....and their skinny necks. I have a tough time with Ric 12 strings.
    As mentioned above Jerry Jones, Dano and Fender Stratocaster XII are all decent 12 strings for a lot less money.

9. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I love my '67 360/12. Nothing else sounds quite like it --- except another Rick 12 with toaster pickups. I don't mind the spacing at the nut. I don't mind the lacquered fretboard. It all adds to the thing for me. There are other great 12-strings out there but they don't feel and sound like Rick's.

10. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

+1 for Jerry Jones. An excellent playing instrument.

11. tone4days

tone4days Member

there was a thread on here at one point in the last year or so about a guy who had a ric 12 that he had some major renovation work done on by a really respected guy ... apparently, a new nut with adjusted spacing really helps .. moving the bridge back a touch also helps with intonation ... you can probably find it with a search

good luck
    t4d

12. TGwaH

TGwaH Member

Has anyone tried the Eastwood 12 string guitars?

13. SGNick

SGNick Member

Mark Arnquist - Dale Fortune - Paul Wilczynski

Three guys who can work wonders on Rickenbackers. Google away!

14. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I have a 92 Rick 330-12 that I added toaster pickups to. I like it a lot, but I am curious to try a 600 series for the reason many have mentioned: the necks are wider. It's impossible for me to play an Asus chord on my Ricks because of the narrow neck width, but I can pull it off on my Danelectro 12, which I also like.

Toaster pickups are the old sixties style Rick pickups. The tops look like the top of a toaster, hence the name. Hi Gains are much hotter. Toasters are "airier" you might say. I prefer toasters, obviously.

I would recommend you try everything available and pick the one that speaks to you in every way. The last time I picked up a Fender Strat 12 string, the neck was warped beyond belief.

15. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Beyond their obvious "issues", nothing sounds like a Ric 12. My 381 can cause goose bumps to arise from my arms with just one notes ;).

16. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I used to have a 620-12, it was a bear changing strings and the necks are so thin and bass strings and octaves on bottom are on top vs standard 12's where the octave smaller strings are on top that's why rics sound different. I now use a Dano reissue DC59 12 with a wider neck than a ric and easy to play since I have large hands.

17. trwigg

trwigg Member

I was looking around on the PRS website and the only 12 strings I saw were the Private Stock ones. Does PRS make a McCarty Hollowbody 12? I own a few PRS guitars and would be interested to hear one of thier 12 strings.

I have received many good suggestions from this post and I thank you all. I would love to go play one but I can't remember going in a shop and seeing one hanging on the wall, oh well the search goes on!

18. Ogre

Ogre Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but ONLY the 660 has the wider neck. The rest of the 6 series does not.

19. gravy

gravy Member

eastwood anyone?

20. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I have owned two Eastwood guitars and sold them both. They felt unsubstantial, like they wouldn't last very long. I have several friends who bought Eastwoods, and all of them sold them quickly, except for one guy who never sells anything.