12-tone temperament necks

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Nick31, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Nick31

Nick31 Member

2. PFCG

PFCG Member

that looks out of hand. a little much for me. im fine with straight frets. Ive never had a tuning problem with my parkers or any other guitar of mine for that matter besides my cheapo first guitar.

3. ChrisThompson

ChrisThompson Member

You have to wonder, you're up on stage in a crappy bar with lousy acoustics, the bassist is too loud, the drummer is competing, and the singer is screaming, probably off key.

How much does that matter?

Interesting? Sure. Useful? Doubtful. Worth $750? Not a chance.

4. kimock

kimock Member

Yeah I see what you mean, those necks must be for somebody on a different level. . .:rolleyes:

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

If you can't hear it in a crappy bar over a screaming singer and too loud drummer it's not worth hearing...

6. kimock

kimock Member

you left your lights on

7. allman5

allman5 Member

I´ve heard that Steve Vai use them!

8. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I wonder how this affects your vibrato.

9. kimock

kimock Member

I wonder how most guy's vibrato affects their intonation on a straight fret.

10. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

Wouldn't an Earvana nut be an easier and cheaper solution if you weren't happy with your intonation.

11. hot_rats

hot_rats Member

All really relative. Ideas which are conceptually interesting, but mostly useless for the greatest part of guitarists.

At least he is a little more accurate than Buzz Feiten on his claims, and on his historical research. Anyway, meantone temperament wasn't exactly the one most in use between the 14th and 18th century; until the 16th century, the only used temperament was pythagorean, during the 16th century, meantone was mostly the rule on most instruments; on 17th and 18th, it all depended on the region and the musician; there were lots of well-tempered tunings. Meantone was rarely used because it is averse to advanced chromatism and the music developments that took place with specially names like Monteverdi, Gesualdo (Italy), and Sweelinck (Netherlands). By "averse", I am saying that keys with a lot of sharps (well, keys had beem just developed...until then, it was all mostly modal, and mostly in a hybrid way, but there were not exactly keys), sound harsh. For most of the these centuries, men tried to equate temperaments which would solve problems on some keys and scales. The plenty of temperaments available at the 18th century, each one of them, had very peculiar sound characteristics, because each one enhances certain keys, aspects, scales, tonalities, while making others hard to use, so harsh they would sound. Each temperament was specific to a style, a time, a region. The correct temperament is essential to get the best sound as possible when playing an Early Music composer like William Byrd (16th century). If you guys have the opportunity, compare a cd of him being played by canadian pianist Glenn Gould (using his equaltone-tempered piano) and on a historically informed harpsichord recording (e.g.: Sophie Yates, Äapo Häkkinen.). Sounds a music completely different.

In the 19th century, music started to gear towards the equal temperament. As the site describes (correctly), most of keys sound similar on it. It is a dull temperament, but at least it lets you use all keys without problems.

I don't know why people would be so concerned with temperament if most of them don't know bollocks about advanced musical theory (and therefore, would make no good use of different temperaments). Getting the same temperament as Bach on your guitar won't make you sound like Bach. Why would I want a 20th century equaltone system to play 16th century Sweelinck on my harpsichord, and why would I want 18th century wohltemperiert to play jazz on my guitar? that's just illogical.

Also, remember when playing in ensemble---

you won't be able to play with a band, unless the bass is either fretless or in the same temperament.

Anyway, this guy is playing on meantone:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iI9dD1sxdE

I wonder why his frets don't look like a mess =)

12. PFCG

PFCG Member

this the teacher of my advanced composition class, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfbcvMg1Ae8

What temperament do you think hes using here?

also check out check out songs from like life of death. His name is Apostolos Paraskevas, hes amasing.

13. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I applaud TT for making those necks. I kind of like the 12 equal tone neck. $750 is not crazy expensive considering the work to install those crazy frets. Guys willingly drop $200-400 on a pedal. That Meantone neck is wild. I love their disclaimer: Meantone Blues is not intended for use together with instruments in other temperaments.

14. hot_rats

hot_rats Member

untempered. or just-intonation of a really weird temperament.

15. SGNick

SGNick Member

Nor am I. The overall sound would be similar to a guitar and keyboard playing together.

never perfectly in tune really, but we don't care. we just want to get laid.

16. hot_rats

hot_rats Member

not really

17. David Collins

David Collins Member

18. daddyo

daddyo Guest

:BluesBros:RoCkInI think the blues live ouside the temperment box anyzhowz.

19. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I'm sure those make a noticable difference, but every time I see one of those fret boards, I have to fight my mind from having a flashback! LOL. Those evil 70's and 80's really messed me up.....