12 years gone! R.I.P. Dimebag

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by markedman, Dec 7, 2016.

1. markedman

markedman Supporting Member

It seems like just yesterday. I get so choked up just thinking about it. His command of feedback and his aggressive style is my absolute favorite.

2. 0018g

0018g Member

I was only peripherally aware of his music, but I remember thinking what a stupid waste it was. I also remember how shaken the cop looked on the news after he dispatched the assailant. Horrifying scene.

3. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

I have a Randall 410 cabinet which was a part of the Dimebag "Win this Rig" contest. Pretty sweet. It is the bottom cab to this full stack. I wish it was the A cab in the pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Safely stored away.
    :facepalm
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    R13D, JiveTurkey and fishruss like this.
  4. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Member

It's been 12 years? Wow. I miss that guy.

monty likes this.
  5. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

I worked in a high rise office tower when this happened.

I remember looking at a tv on the elevator that they had showing the news, and wondering why I'm reading about a heavy metal guitarist on the morning news.

Very strange and horrifying situation.

The Great White fire was around the same time; I was at the same job. It was very odd seeing musicians that I read about on TGP involved with mainstream news and for such awful occurrences.

6. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

7. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

He was so influential on all the guys playing guitar that I grew up with. One of a kind.

8. monty

monty Member

My favorite of that style. R.I.P. Dime.

9. fishruss

fishruss Member

Smile that black toothed grin.

10. jmp2204

jmp2204 Member

Hard to believe it's been 12 years. I live in Columbus, and at the time was watching TV, saw them break in about the shooting at the AlRosa, but had no idea until later that night. A few friends called to see if I was alright, since I hung out there occasionally. Rest in Peace, Dime.

JiveTurkey and fishleehooker like this.
  11. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

I almost went that night. I went to see Lamb of God at Al Rosa 2 weeks prior and I pointed at the Hellyeah poster to my buddy and asked if he wanted to go. His favorite band was Pantera but he had used up all his sick leave to go see Judas Priest and Lamb of God, so we opted not to go. When I found out I lost my mind and my friend wouldn't talk to anyone for days. My best friend worked at Al Rosa off and on and knew 2 guys that died that night. He helped put on a show to benefit the lesser known dead from that horrific night. I still fantasize about the What if. What if I went that night and that alone changed history. What if I could have done something, as unlikely as that is? I know this is destiny and much bigger powers at play, but damnit I wish I would have been there if I could have done something. On the flip side I am glad I wasn't there to see something so grizzly and horrific. RIP Darrell.

12. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

12 years already? Man, time flies. What a tragedy.

Not a Pantera fan but sure listened to them in high school (thanks to my best friend who was a huge fan). I always dug Dimebag though. He had a great feel to his playing and really knew his stuff. He always came off as a regular guy too, no ego. The type you want to spend all night drinking with (well, given the amount he used to put away, maybe not such a good idea:D).

13. stimpson

stimpson Member

the first time i heard his playing, my friend pulled me aside in the high school hallway, pulled out his walkman and said listen to this. he played "Cowboys From Hell". mind blown. pretty soon everyone i knew was listening to Vulgar Display of Power. then Far Beyond Driven came out. how were they going to keep up with that pace ? i drifted away from their music but i still would put Dimebag in my top five. love his style and he made it look so easy. saw them live twice, they pretty much destroyed

14. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

I wasn't a huge Pantera fan, but I owned both Vulgar Display and Far Beyond Driven. I still love both the rhythmic tightness of This Love and the psychedelicness of Planet Caravan. At the time, I subscribed to all the guitar mags, and while it was Dime overload, and he was sometimes too much. But I never skipped an interview because he was such a character. I think that's what made his murder more shocking. Dime was larger than life.... it didn't seem like some pissed off pissant could take him out. But, one crazy man with a weapon and all that.

I really can't pigeonhole Dime as a "great guitar player" but damn, he was perfect for Pantera, and I think Pantera was Dime. That band could never continue with anyone else. So while I personally don't know if he was great, he achieves something else that's probably more rare, he was unique. you never had to ask "who was the guitarist on that song?". Lots of people copied him, no one else came close (lookin' at you, Zakk).

SurfGreenTele likes this.
  15. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

I'm 30, I went through a big hard rock/metal phase in my teens, and Dimebag was one of my favorites. I wanted, but never got a Dean Dimebag ML, and I remember asking my mother if I could change my AOL screen name to "DimebagD333"

She didn't let me.

Bluesful likes this.
  16. SurfGreenTele

SurfGreenTele Member

One of the truly unique players that went way beyond plain technique...it's the way his huge personality came out in his playing, nobody could ever copy him. And the guy could actually make metal groove and write the catchiest riffs so naturally. He was one of those players that never had to 'practice'. This clinic footage is one that I always go back to and become re-impressed with him regularly:

Mack72 likes this.
  17. R13D

R13D Member

Saw him with Pantera a couple of times. Hard to imagine the sustained energy he brought to the music. He owned the crowds.
    RIP Dime. You rocked.

18. Brooks

Brooks Member

grew up in DFW seeing pantera at the local clubs. also lived in columbus for 3 months and went to alrosa. not enough is said about dime and vinnies fantastic sense of rhythm, there is nothing like them, and they influenced so much of metal in the last 20 years. disapointed that the 10 year anniversary of his passing (or his 50th Bday) didnt see a re-release of the pantera home DVDs (which are hillarious and very entertaining even if you dont like metal).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    R13D likes this.
  19. Viewfinder

Viewfinder Member

Hey its great that you have that fantasy of being able to do something on the night to prevent what actually happened.
    However, I suspect that with a crazy and ruthless shooter like that, nothing could have been done by anyone unless they were very well armed and very near the stage that night..and maybe really alert. But even then - probably not.
    Gale was just far too methodical, he knew the venue well and was lightning fast getting in.
    I have spent a long time understanding just how it all transpired because it seemed so unbelievable.
    Its scary to think that a guy like that was out in the rear carpark prowling around by himself, and in under 90 seconds was standing on the stage and moving towards Dime. Nothing can defeat this kind of insane plan from a deranged mind unfortunately.
    Dime did have his own security guy's and crew. Venue had reasonable/good security that night.
    They saw Gale all afternoon outside the rear of the venue. He talked to security several times.
    Its terrifying to know that there are these kinds of unglued ex military or police guys with stealth skills.
    I am sure we all would have loved to be able to prevent Dime from being harmed.
    He was just so super amazing to me with such a unique sense of fun as well. Just so sad.

20. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Really glad I got to see Dimebag with Pantera a few times. He was always entertaining. I dug the sorta wobbly/out of tune vibe his tone had.