1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

125 watt Bad Cat

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ritualee, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Ritualee

Ritualee Supporting Member

Evening, Gentlemen.

I usually just lurk around here but I played a great amp today and thought I'd share. I get down to the Bad Cat shop fairly often but today James showed me this amp they made for Keith Urban. 4 knobs, no features, just loud, clean, pure, sweet tone. A very inspiring amp. Sort of like a bigger, sweeter Fender Twin but it still had a Bad Cat type sound to it. This was the best amp I've tried in a long time. Generally speaking, I don't go for amps with lots of features, so this was pretty much right in my wheelhouse.

I told him I thought they needed to make this a permanent model but I think he just made this one as per a request from Mr. Urban. I'm going to have to try to get one, though.

Lee

2. bscepter

bscepter Member

What was powering it? A sextet of EL34s? 6L6s? KT88s? Tell! Tell!

3. Ritualee

Yeah, what was powering it? Hmmm.... I think it was 6L6s and I'm pretty sure it was only a quad. Would this be possible? I was looking right at the chassis as I played, you'd think I would have noticed.

One thing I did notice was that the biggest transformer I ever saw lives in that amp. Jeez...

Lee

4. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Why would someone want so much power.Most people mike up at shows anyway. Maybe hes planning on using it as an amp and monitor or something, just seems very excessive. Teleblaster:NUTS

5. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Some people like the feel and low end from a high wattage amp. It's not always about how much volume.

6. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

I agree. :AOK

7. Ritualee

Oh I don't think it's excessive at all. Headroom, headroom and location...er I mean headroom. You can get as loud as you want and stay clean. Everyone says a 30 watt amp is plenty to gig with and it is if you're driving it. But you try to make an AC30 sound pristine over a loud rock drummer and it's a different story. Plus Urban is playing giant rooms. And all those watts made for a really great bloom and a very warm, yet defined low end. Small amps have their place, but big ones do, too. I've always liked big ones. ;-)

Lee

8. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

I've also played it....very nice indeed!!

9. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

is this going to be his main amp? anyone know. I know he has been using bad cat, mathchess, marshall, and bogner. I love his tone. Thinking of picking up the dvd just to check out his playing and tone.

10. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

lee,

ive been thinking about this amp for a while. are you the "lee" that did the clips on the bad cat site? some cool stuff there. anyways, any chance of getting clips of this one? gotta talk james into maybe getting keith there to do a clip like brad paisley did for dr z. would be cool to hear them talk about it and play or something.

11. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

Bad Cat definitely need to get it together with their website. They need to have a seperate page for all of their various amps, including the custom shop models. They need to have complete write ups on each and lots of sound clips.

They also should consider hiring someone to deal with customers. It always took them at least a week to get back with me, every time.

12. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

total opposite experience i had. i called on sunday once to leave a message hoping to get a call back early the next week. james answered and talked to me for 20 mins. ON A SUNDAY. as a matter of fact, every time ive called i spoke directly with james and he never was in a rush to get me off the phone or anything like that. maybe i got lucky, maybe you got them on an "off" time.. who knows. i know james fixed my problem asap as well as called stu from fatsound to do a follow up.

agreed the website needs some help.

13. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

You think that's bad?

Check out Bogner's site!

some parts have been saying "TBA" for over a year!

14. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Most of the boutique amp site are terrible. Considering that many of their sales must be to people who haven't heard their amps first hand, or at least aren't buying one off the floor, you'd think that they would have good pics and sound clips. Usually their sites are done by people with limited computer skills and cracked copy of Front Page. And the tiny tiny pics. Nothing short of of an 800x600 image should be shown when clicked on a pop up. I've seen sites where they just zoom the thumbnail and all you get are blurry pixelated amp shots. More pics please. Larger pics please. All your amps please. A sampling of the cabinet options please. Front and back. Not too hard to do. There must be a marketing reason why not.

15. bob-i

bob-i Member

I saw him recently in Trenton NJ. Both he and the other guitarist had BIG stacks of Bad Cats. On these big stages with loud partying crouds you do have to be pretty loud, even with mikes and in ear monitors.

He has amazing tone with every guitar he picked up, mostly a 3 PU Tele, but he also played a LP Jr, Strat and another Tele. He wasn't about massive overdrive, just big fat tone with a little grit.

16. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

no bogners at the concert? my friend has a shiva. if i didnt own a bad cat...thats probably one i'd consider getting.

17. bob-i

bob-i Member

Nope, not a single Bogner :jo , All Bad Cats, like 10 of 'em.

18. oxtone

oxtone Member

bob-i,

By the way: if you watch Urban's new DVD, you'll see that his "3 pickup Tele" actually has only ONE pickup, in the bridge! The other two pickup holes are empty. And, I think the Tele also has no switch, if I remember right...

I saw Urban this past Tour, and man, he was great! It was nice being one of a few guys in a hall packed with beautiful women...:D

19. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

how is the dvd. is it worth picking up?

20. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Most boutique amp builders don't really have too much invested in their web-presence. Basic 'here's what we got' and a few other things to stave off phone calls for a manual, etc.

A website is a huge investment in time and effort for those who don't know. I'm sure from thier aspect, it is very hard to work on the three month backlog of amps, do R&D on the next amps, do support on already existing amps, AND do clips for the site, write the script for it, take pictures, and make sure it's *easy* to negotiate around...

Give them a break.

Now the larger boys have no excuse if their site if awful.

Back to the thread:
    120 watts is all about the headroom. Many of today's modern stages are HUGE, so when your amp is 50 feet away, it would be nice to actually hear it.

EP