12AX7 Comparisons

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by digthosetubes, Feb 19, 2012.

1. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Please tell me your experience with these tubes.
    Thank you.

Doug at Doug's Tubes shared with me that the "Tube Store 7025 is made in China by Shuguang....same tube as Ruby 12AX7AC7 HG for a lot less $$." (Thank you.)

I also have some JJECC83S tubes I want to experiment with. I am told these are identical to the TAD 7025/E83CCHighgrade, the latter of which I have had good luck with. Many have told me now that they don't care for the JJECC83S tubes.

Always interested to hear whatever you can share. Thank you.

2. LarryN

LarryN Member

Of those three, I've only used the Sovtek LPS and I find it has a nice big sound. I have lots of NOS and I think it holds it's own for a new tube. Some say it's a little microphonic in high gain applications, but that doesn't apply to me.

3. chervokas

chervokas Member

I agree, among new production tubes I always liked the Sovtek LPS. No experience with the others.

4. dazco

dazco Member

tung sols are kinda nice, but bright. Never tried the others. But of all new production i've tried like JJ, EH, mullard RI, (both GT and russian) chinese, and a few others, I keep going back to the chinese made in the 80's. The new chinese sound nothing like them. The 80's ones just sound more transparent than anything else. They seem to produce the least colored tone letting a more flat frequency curve come thru, and they seem smooth too. Luckily i have a stock of them, but i think they are still available.