12AX7 gurus...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by imaguy2, Jan 26, 2012.

1. imaguy2

imaguy2 Member

I'm looking for a gritty, noisy, but still warm set of 12AX7's. Any recommendations? Should the set by matched or un-matched? My gut instinct tells me to look at a pair of Sovteks.

2. flywheel

flywheel Member

3. insanecopilot

insanecopilot Member

I like the jj ecc803s long plate for modern, sovteks are probaby the worst. The tung sol sound great but do not last long as phase inverters.

4. Moddjobbs

Moddjobbs Member

As far as new manufacture preamp tubes go, my favorite 12ax7 in a fender type amp is hands down the tung sols. Clear, warm, and wonderful! Though I find the JJ's work really well in both Marshall and Vox Amps as well.

5. Kelly

Kelly Member

6. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

I have a bunch of noisy 12AX7's you can have. I don't have much use for microphonic tubes.

7. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

EH all the way. Noisy, gritty, really awful... If that's what you're looking for. Sovteks are a close 2nd. I had some Groove Tubes that came in a PRRI that were just relabeled EHs, replaved with ANOS GEs, what a difference! Had Sovteks in an horrendous sounding Crate V15 (an ear puke inducing amp) that were very gritty, also had one in a Vox AC4TV. It's a tough choice between the 2.