12ax7 pics, auction buys

JJman

Went to an auction in Wall NJ on Sat. Lots a cool old stuff. Wackiest was a "watch calibrator." Got a tube caddy with a Tung Sol ad on it. Was trying to convince myself that I had to have the drug store tube tester with stand.

Picked up a 6pc lot of 12ax7s. 2 boxes were Mullard, 2 Dumont and 2 RCA. I didn't have time to open the boxes when I was going thru the stuff ahead of time. One is RCA. One says Matsushita. One is grey plate GE-Motorola. 3 have long black plates. One long grey plate.

12ax7-23.JPG
12ax7-17.JPG
12ax7-24.JPG

...Matsushita...MIJ ?.............1-"AR" & 1-"I1E" L-B Plate....long Gr Plate inked 322xxxxx

The 2nd and 3rd have very similar plates except color. 322xxx is Tung Sol, yes?

Last edited:

Timbre Wolf

>thermionic<
Platinum Supporting Member
The Matsushita is just that - made with Philips style engineering, in Japan. Matsushita is known here in the US by the name "Panasonic."

The second is a Raytheon black-plate, probably from 1961

The last is a Tung-Sol (322 is the Tung-Sol EIA code).

- T

zombiwoof

Nice score, if the tubes are good (are they supposed to be NOS, or used?). Of course the RCA, Mullard, GE are great tubes but I really like those Raytheon black-plates. I got a couple from Ebay that sound awesome.

Al

JJman

None of the lots were purported to be NOS. Some were listed as "Tested" and this one had no qualifiers in it's description. I was basically rolling the dice and they were the only 12ax7 tube lot of the hundreds of lots sold. Paid $90 for the six, which was high for that auction in general. I was committed to winning them. Haven't played them yet but 5 of six tested good. Only weak one is one of the Raytheons but I'll see how it sounds and looks on the scope before passing judgment.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom