12ax7s in vibroverb custom???

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by coolhand78, Jun 4, 2008.

1. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

I'm wanting to play around with the configuration of the
    preamp valves in the 64 vibroverb custom...

I have JAN Philips 7581A's in the power section and a JAN 5AR4/GZ34 rect.

I have at my disposal 2x NOS RCA 12Ax7's (which i use for the vibrato channel) 2 x tung sol 12ax7 reissues, 2 x JJ ECC803's and 2x NOS JAN 5751's

I do particularly like the RCA's but what about the other positions?

I'm also considering taking out the Valve from V1 and see how that sounds...

I crank the amp to about 8 when i play and am not particularly concerned with bringing down the volume... i find it difficult to describe the tone im after but it's somewhere between SRV/Clapton/Hendrix/Ford (who isnt..?)
    I have a large pedal (see sig for list)

What do people recommend...

thanks for your help...

L.

2. Gene

Gene Member

I would definitely go with the NOS RCA for the preamp. Just my preference of the choices you show.

3. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

To get closer to SRV tones you need a mid control.Pinning the mids on a blackface gets you some righteous growl.The Vibroverb is different,but has something special that blackface amps don't have.Try a different set of power tubes.I like the TAD 6L6 short bottles.They have a unique breakup.

4. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

I'm mostly concerned with the V1 and V5 positions, and whether people would recommend JJ's or Tung sol's or 5751's in these positions? (I should have been more specific...)

I have the RCA's in V2 & V4, and i like them there... i'm also happy with the 7581a's...

also, will removing the V1 tube reduce volume??

cheers

L.

5. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

Removing V1 will increase gain slightly (on the Vibrato channel), and render the normal channel non-functional.