12in speaker recommendations for 67 Fender blackface bassman ab165

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by buddyboy69, Aug 1, 2019.

1. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

Ive been playing my 67 Bassman with a single 1x12 cab for a while now and am looking to make a second 1x12 cab to stack or seperate on stage. Currently i have really only used jensen speakers with my fender amps and is what is in the 1x12. A friend had a few EVM 12L speakers he let me borrow which i swapped into my cab but thats the only other speaker i have tried. I did not care for the EVM as it was too defined in the clean to medium overdriven range, i liked the undefined mush of the jensen much better, seems more expressive. The EMV 12l was fantastic for heavely overdriven chugging and whatnot, but i dont play that way. Im a push the amp then add a tubescreamer and then a fuzz for over the top. no chugging. People talk about greenbacks and such, but i dont really know what to expect or what would pair with the jensen that i and am used to. I also dont want a second jensen, looking for different flavor i guess. Thanks, any suggestions are welcome.

2. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

One classic formula in the 70's was to replace the stock Bassman speakers - usually Oxfords - with Celestions. Vintage 30's would work, Creambacks. Back then we bought blown Marshall cabs and harvested the good 25w speakers from them - worked great.

I agree about the EVM - too high fidelity for a Bassman head, IMO.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

buddyboy69 likes this.
  4. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

What power rating should I get being the amp is 50w. I may run the single speaker or in conjunction with the jensen.

5. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

You want a minimum 50 watt handling capacity, 100 watts is better especially if you're overdriving the Bassman. And yes, Greenbacks and Bassman are a glorious combination! Grab a pair of 50 watt Greenback types and throw them in a 2x12 and you're done.

buddyboy69 and Rumble5 like this.
  6. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

Still in the honeymoon phase, so take it with a grain of salt, but I’ve really been liking the WGS ET90 I put in a combo cab for mine the other day. Cuts through really well but still sounds fat.

buddyboy69 likes this.
  7. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Weber Blue Dog, Ceramic Magnet, lite Dope

buddyboy69 likes this.
  8. Major Dude

Major Dude Member

Last night I gigged out with my 61 blonde Bassman for the first time in a while, cab was a 112 loaded with a 90w Celestion Alnico Cream. Sweet. That will work really well for you.
    Previously I gigged the Bassman for years with a Scumback M75 65watter in there, a great combination. I also really liked the G12M 65w Creamback.

Three great options for you there my friend. I’d be happy with any one of them + a Bassman head.
    Good luck :aok

buddyboy69 likes this.