%13 10/20 compared to 30w Fargen Blackbird??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by WahmBoomAh, Nov 13, 2005.

1. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I know ....apples and oranges BUT ...since we`re talking about 2 6V6 powered 1-12 combos with 1/2 power switches and reverb ..... I own and love my Fargen (4x6V6 30watt) and have never heard the %13 10/20 and may have a shot at one ...Has any lucky man out there had the pleasure of taste testing both of these amps for a qualified opinion ??? thank y`all

2. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Having had both I would say that despite the tube similarities these are totally different amps. The Fargen being a refined, softer spoken amp that is very smooth and rounded in tone and the 10/20 being a mean in your face mother that wants to be let out of the gates to cause as much tonal hell raising as possible. The 10/20 is way more agressive to my ear and wishes to break up more quickly. The 10/20 is kind of like a hot rodded blackbird with a mean streak I would say. Both cool amps but very different.

3. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Man....the way you describe the SJT10/20.....I want one! :)

4. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Yep, it's a great little amp, but playing one makes you crave its big brother the ftr 37 even more...now with the ftr you get some more clean headroom but it also wants to go...big time. The /13 6v6 amps are super fun to play because of the excitement factor in the tone.

5. ChazMania

I mainly play smaller rooms, churches, etc....so I might not be able to push the ftr37 enough....the 10/20 and the 9/15 have me g.a.s ing pretty bad tho.....I still have yet to hear or play through any /13, but from the last few months of reading, I'm aching with an itch to scratch!

6. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Well the 10/20 is still darn loud mind you!! Plenty loud to gig large clubs imho. It has the most bass of any "2 small tube" amp I have ever heard. In church you would definitely be able to get clean headroom when you need it. The tone controls work differently than any amp you have ever tried before - a little tweak goes along way - especially with the treble and bass knobs.

7. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

hi again ....I started this post and am very grateful to you guys for the feedback ...so . about the 10/20 headroom .Can it stay clean with a jazz drummer hiitting hard with organ ? Squeaky clean is not my goal here ...I like a little grunt when hitting it hard but not a hairy note when playing melodically ...where on the dial does this transition happen ? Also , how much louder is is compared to a deluxe rev.?Does it compress(a.k.a. mush out) like a DR? thanks again

8. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Well the answer, IMO, is that it's unlikely that any of us will know because just don't know how loud your gig is and how much grunt is too much in your opinion. Sorry, but that's the realistic answer. The 37 has notably more clean headroom...but is not overall necessarily that much louder. (I don't own a 10/20, but just got through putting a new one through the paces over at ÷13).

The difference between 10W clean and 37W clean (or 18 at half power) is just not that much. And when you goose either of them a bit, they get quite loud. But, FWIW, both amps can be tamed pretty decently with a MASS or a Hotplate. Not great for bedroom volume...but definitely tame enough (and good sounding enough) for most gigs I've done.

9. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I would also just add that the 10/20 is not what I would consider personally a Jazz amp. I think it wants to be let off thr reigns and therefore might be a bit hairy for tamer Jazz numbers. The fargen does have this tameness factor that allows it to be more well suited for jazzers in general.

10. Leonc

re: 10/20 not being ideal for jazz--agreed.

11. Timmo

Timmo Member

If indeed anyone plays JaZZ through a Divided by 13 amp they are required to resell the amp immediately and at a substantial discount due to the fact that playing JaZZ through a 13 amp does indeed damage the transformers .
    Did I mention I HATE Jazz................:D

12. ChazMania

Does anyone have one of these 10/20 combo's fer sale? Is Fred open to no name people like me coming in and playing his amps to see which one wets my willie?
    I just sold my GainStar and I'm thinking maybe the 10/20 combo is fer me...

Sorry for hijacking this thread...

13. Leonc

Fred's absolutely open to letting shmo's into the shop to goof around--hell he let's me in every few days ;).