/13 10/20 with od pedals

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 57special, Apr 22, 2005.

1. 57special

57special Member

what mates up well with the /13 10/20 ? i'm looking for just a bit more to make leads smoother and more liquid (specially with a strat). 10/20 is great, but has a lot of barbed wire in it. To my dismay, my one and only OD, a Cornish G2 that usually sounds great with everything, seems to fight the 10/20. It's weird, because the G2 sounds great with my BFDR (which i thought was very similar to a 10/20).
    A Klon, mebbe?
    I'm not much of a pedal guy, so you'll have to talk slow.

Unadan likes this.
  2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

FWIW, I dig the AC Boost with my 37. Particularly in a band mix, it does well. If you want some hair, you may want to look into Fred's pedals. The Lift will be the smoothest (unhariest). Then maybe the DynaRanger or Joyride. Think Hansoloist has had booth or all three. Oh Han...???

Unadan likes this.
  3. iainmc

iainmc Silver Supporting Member

i really like the lift (which is also in the switchazel) - as leon says, it's pretty smooth.

i have not tried an amp where the Klon Centaur didn't make it markedly better. With my /13 RSA23, it combines with everything extremely well - ads another level of dimensionality & just fills a mix. You just can't go wrong with the Klon.

after that, go for something ts-9 ish. check out the Durham SexDrive - i like that a load.

/i

Unadan likes this.
  4. Timmo

Timmo Member

I like the HotCake with the 10/20..........ALOT!
    However, I LOVE the 10/20 just plain ole 'cranked'!

Unadan likes this.
  5. philster

philster Member

In my experience with D13 (well over 3 years), my favorite tones with an OD box were with the Cornish pedals. The G2 fuzz in particular, is scary good with the 10/20 and the 37. There is a creamy, sustainy quality that is just awesome. The AC boost is also good, but not nearly as refined sounding.

Unadan likes this.
  6. 57special

57special Member

That's weird... i love the G2 (i'm on my 3rd!?), but was struggling getting it to mate with the 10/20. Thought it was my imagination, or a bad day, then plugged the G2 into another new amp i have (G2 works great with my BFDR and Ampeg RR2) the Vox AC30CC, and i literally couldn't find a bad sound!
    What settings are you suing on your amp and G2? Maybe you have the amp set clean, rather than having the amp already crunching , turning on the G2 for "more"?

Unadan likes this.
  7. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I've used the Cornish G2 with my FTR37 before and loved it. I think the 10/20 is supposed to be a smaller 37, isn't it?

I would say most all the pedals I've tried with the 37 have been cool. It took a little more tweaking to get a tube screamer to my liking though, but I was able to make it work.

I didn't much care for 13's Lift, but lately I have been using it at unity to add a little more push (instead of boost) and like it better.

It may just take some trial and error to see what's right for you. If you hadn't mentioned the G2 didn't work, it would have been one of my recs to try. I did use it into a cleaner sound though. I think Cornish even recommends to use them this way.

Cranked is a great way to go... try an attenuator too.

Unadan likes this.
  8. philster

philster Member

I can't exactly remember how I set the G2 with the 10/20 since I sold it a while back. With the 37, I like to use the pedal when the amp is just on the verge of break-up. I have the gain (sustain) at about 1 o'clock, and the tone to taste. The G2, in my experience, does not like a heavily overdriving amp.
    YMMV.

Phil

Unadan likes this.
  9. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

Get a Dyna-Ranger, set it on 3, and dial up the level to taste...it'll make the thinnest Strat sound thick and liquid as a seriously nasty STD...the kind you can spot through a pair of pants from across the street.

And when you get it, keep it. No need to f*ck around so much.:D

peace
    -jeff

Unadan likes this.
  10. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

I have a new standard for tone.

I also like the COT50 with my 10/20

Unadan likes this.
  11. KLB

KLB Member

The G2 has a lot of midrange. I love mine! With some amps it is helpful to put an EQ pedal after it to tailor the tone. I understand that Cornish uses a BFDR as his main tone amp when designing pedals. The G2 sure sounds good with a Fender, but also a Marshall (JTM-45 front end is better, IMO.)

Unadan likes this.
  12. highgeer

highgeer Member

Try a TIM behind your G2 with some treble attenuated. This really takes some of the harsher overtones away. When I had my 10/20 I used G2(V=1,T=9,S=12-2), TIM(G=12-5, B=2, T=3, V=10)(all o'clock), Replica. This yeilded an incredibley smooth, thick,sustaining lead tone.

Mike

Unadan likes this.
  13. KLB

KLB Member

If I set my G2 like that it would be way too dark.
    I guess they aren't all the same.
    If anything, mine needs more treble.
    Using a pedal in front of it livens up the overtones.

- Ken

Unadan likes this.