/13 ERT33 vs. SJT10/20

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dankayaker, Feb 16, 2008.

1. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Anyone have both . . . I'm mostly interested in the quality of the clean-low gain tones. I have an ERT33 and it's incredible . . . but I really need this quality tone in a smaller package . . how good are the cleans on the SJT ?
    The ERT is really fat, rich , warm with the right amount of compression, it really is a brilliant amp. I use the click channle as a slightly hotter version of the clean channel and the fat throatyness is killer. Can the Switchhazel be used to combine/go between channels on the SJT ?

Tell me your experiences.

thanks

2. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Supporting Member

I just got a JRT and its got some great cleans on both the 6V6 and EL84

The tone selector Bright cap definitely gives you a great boost on the tone as well.

3. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

I know Fred made a couple special amps in 1x12 combo form. Specifically if you like the 33, then you will no doubt dig the RSA 31. He made 1x12's of the RSA31 (minus the click channel). Couldn't think of a better portable tone machine w/ plenty of cleans & very similar to your 33.

As for the 10/20, that is a great amp too, but a little less clean headroom (low wattage..duh!). Fuller cleans due to the 6V6's.

Either amp is a good choice but after owning the RSA31, it would be nice to have it in a portable 1x12 to lug in and out.

-Rich

4. highgeer

highgeer Member

Dan,
    I prefer the 33 cleans, but 10/20 has a more usable distortion tone. Remember that you cannot a/b the channels on the 10/20; you can either use one or the other. The 10/20's clean is really good-fat and muscular with some highend sparkle. It's a great smaller platform, but like I said before, I prefer the muscular, open, chine of the 33. A 1x12 33 without the click would be great. The 31 is more traditional Vox sounding, more aggressive and not as full sounding.

Mike

5. dankayaker

Thanks guys.

Hi Mike,

Good description of the 33. Would you happen to know how the EDT13/29 would compare ?

thanks

6. highgeer

highgeer Member

Dan,
    I only played one briefly, so don't take it as gospel, but the 13/29 seemed stiffer and sterile to me when compared to the 33. It is definitely more tweed, and I have never really been able to bond with tweed amps(they always seem stiff, harsh, and honky unless they are really loud). Have you tried a Bruno UG 30 or a Meteor II with EL84s? The 33 is one of my favorite clean tones, but I agree that the big head is a drag. I have, in some way, been down this road, and I am using a Rivera Venus 6 with great results (Amazing clean tones and distorted tones and takes pedals well).

Mike

7. dankayaker

Thanks Mike,
    I don't like stiff amps . . . I'm sticking with my ERT33 for now. I'll sell my other gear and experiment but the ERT is a sure thing.
    Dan