1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

%13 Ftr 37 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dmbandtimmy, Feb 19, 2006.

1. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Ive had really bad GAS for a FTR 37 and just had a couple questions for you guys. I've heard the clean and it sound amazing from the clips I've heard. I really like the clip I heard from Brad Fernquist on the Xotic site! LeonC posted some clips that also sounded AWESOME!

But, I was wondering how much gain this thing has. I currently have a Dual Rec and really haven't had too much experience with Marshalls and have read that the Click channel is like a modded Marshall. Can this channel do "heavy rock" ? I'm really not into heavy heavy music or Metal, but it would be nice to get some heavier rock tones. Also, does someone happen to have or know of any clips of the gain channel. Thanks!

Someone in my town won the lotto for $365 million. I wish I would have played, but I didn't :( If I would have one I would have ordered one tomorrow!

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

3. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Leon! Thanks for the clips. I love the rhythm crunch he is getting!

4. mude

mude Supporting Member

No question that the 37 has some great tones in it (especially with some good players showing it off :) ). The click channel has quite a bit of gain, but for me, the issue was getting to it at reasonable volumes. That amp is one loud sucker. You need a big room, loud band, or some skill with an attenuator. I tended to used pedals with it (which I like by the way).

It had a mid-range thing (or something) that caused very fast ear fatigue for some reason. Maybe I would have grown out of it as I aged. LOL. Very very cool amp for the right player IMO.

Evan.

5. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Does the half power switch bring down the volume by much? I notice that when I put just two power tubes in my Dual Rec, which, decreases the wattage to 50 instead of 100 I don't really notice much of a volume change.

I was kind of worried about the volume thing as I have seen about everyone that has one on here uses an attenuator. I'm glad you brought that up. Plus I don't really play really large places, just the occasional small bar.

6. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

It sounds close to a 50W Marshall, volume-wise. It's loud. Half power is still pretty loud, IMO.

7. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

yep....except better IMHO. The FTR is what a good plexi should have been to my taste. It has all the punch, dynamics and aggresion of a cranked old non-master Marshall, but with a good bit more gain on tap, much tighter bottom end, more refined, round top end, solo notes sound thicker and richer and chords have better clarity and string to string separation. And you'll NEVER find a Marshall that can do the cleans the FTR is capable of. I love the old plexi tones of yesteryear, but when I got my FTR37 it sent nearly all of my "plexi" style amps packing. And yes it's loud as hell! The half power mode does bring it down a fair amount but she's still plenty loud. One note worth metioning while on the half power switch issue is this is one of the few amps the truly sounds pretty near as good on half power as it down in full power mode.

8. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

But if you change all those things about it, then you don't really have a Plexi anymore, do you???

That was my thing with that amp. it's going for it's own thing, and succeeds well at that. It doesn't work for me, 'cause I like to stick close to that Plexi tone. The amps in your sig, the Peacemaker, Makoplex, and even the Komet, are much closer kin to a Plexi than the FTR37, IMO.

It's not an amp that I would recommend if someone asked "What's a good boutique plexi-style amp?" ...

I played my old FTR-37 (sold to a friend) this weekend. I love the cleans! And the clean channel breaks up nicely. But I'm not at all fond of the overdrive. The low end rivals a Dual Recto, and to me it was too overwhelming.

Like Evan said, for the right player, it's a killer amp. It's different enough that you need to try it ... I'm too stuck in replicating certain vintage overdrive tones, and I just couldn't manage that with the FTR37.

9. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Judging by these comments..... would I say the 37 was a good choice for you?
    NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!
    Yes, the cleans are great, but tonally, the Click channel is far from a modded Marshall.
    There are better choices for what your looking for.
    Give us a few specific examples of what kind of tone your after.

10. Jim

Jim Member

Evan: I am curious to hear you say "ear fatigue". What do you mean? This is the first I have read of anything close to a real problem with the 13.

Jim

11. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Thanks for all the info! I guess I am going to have to do a lot more research on what I want and try a bunch more amps out. I don't really have a way of trying out a FTR 37 around here so thanks again for all of the info you guys have provided.

Braciola, for heavier music I am thinking more like Matchbox 20, Chris Tomlin, Better Than Ezra, classic rock etc. I like the Mesa, but Ive found that I want more chord definition in my distortion, where its really overdriven yet you can hear the notes shine through. I also want a better clean. I hope that makes sense.

I don't know if you have ever listened to Steven Curtis Chapmin, but last year I saw him and Chris Tomlin live and Steven's guitarist used a Dual Rec and sounded fine, but what really got me was how I really liked the sound of Chris Tomlins guitarist. He was using a Budda amp and a Vox AC30. I really liked how he got pretty heavy yet retained the note clarity.

Thats why I was thinking about the FTR37. I had heard that it was like a modded marshall on the click channel (like Budda) and for the clean it was a really nice fender tone, which, I am really after too. Then I thought I could add the Emerald Green Distortion for that Voxy tone if I decided I need that. OR, maybe I'm thinking way to much into this and what I really need to do is spend my time practicing :)

12. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

if you like matchbox 20 tone. the ftr37 would be a wonderful amp for you.

13. mude

mude Supporting Member

Not easy to describe, but even at relatively low volumes, my ears would be tired or dulled sooner than other amps at similar volumes. I felt an almost clogged sensation in my ears with that amp for some reason. I was guessing it was the mids as it was not a bright piecing amp at all.

It was one of the main reasons for me selling it (that and I decided it was a lot of money for me to just use as basically a clean platform for pedals - the overdrive was too loud for me - yes I know I could have used an attenuator).

This is not at all scientific of course, and different ears will react differently. I still feel like that amp had some of my favorite tones in it even though it did not quite work for me in my current situation. I have only had the 37 and the 33. I would be very interested in hearing some of the lower power or master volume D13 amps. They have a very high cool factor for me.

Evan.

14. Jim

Jim Member

Thanks Evan. I have been wanting to order one but have no way to demo and there is a no return policy so I was very interested in your description. I think I will wait untl I find one to demo around here.

Thanks again.

Jim

15. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

...the FTR will have no problem doing that.

16. olectric

olectric Supporting Member

I saw them a couple of weeks ago. GREAT show. I talked to Daniel afterwards. His AC-30 was there, but he didn't use it. He was using Fulton-Webb's 17 watt head, and it sounded awesome. Ran it through a Marshall 4x12. That little head sells for $1495. That price sounds almost as good as the tone.

17. mude

mude Supporting Member

Always better to play things first if you can (but regularly not practical for me). That being said, I really really like the 37 (aside from what I mentioned above). I know a couple of folks that had the same issue, but it really is an indivual thing. Most probably would not even notice the issue I mentioned probably. Just something weird with my body. LOL. Anyway you look at it, the D13 stuff is definitely worth looking at and really is cool stuff. The 33 remains one of my favorite cleans by the way.

Evan.

18. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Speakers and cab can make a huge difference with the 37. I found I could get more of what I wanted with the right speaker combo.

It takes pedals fantastic as well. You can get all the crunch you want with the right pedal.

I've owned a couple of real Marshall Plexi's, and I'd say there are some similarities. The 37 definately has more gain though, and a little of it's own thing added.

I'd say it leans toward Classic Rock, but can do Heavy Rock with some fine tuning.

19. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Oh, and I've never ever experienced any Ear Fatigue with the 37...

When it's set up and working right, it puts out one of the prettiest sounds an amp can give.

If anything, I can't listen enough.

20. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

The FTR-37 played at a consistant high volume in the clean or the click channel is the least fatiging amp I've ever played. It is loud on the click channel in the sweet spot but oh my what a sound. Sweet as molasses.