/13 FTR37 hum issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gkelm, Jun 7, 2006.

1. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Just got a used FTR37 yesterday...great sounding amp! Before bugging Fred thought I'd put this out here.

I realize that it's normal for this amp to have a certain amount of noise floor at idle, no problem there. It's when I plug in my pedal board to the amp, I get a significant hum. The board is mostly true bypass pedals & powered by the most recent Juicebox.

I've had no other issues like this with the pedalboard in the same setting with other amps (Marshall, Fedner, Komet, Heritage, Tophat, Victoria, etc.). I've tried different wall plugs, zeroing the opposite channel, fan on/off, etc...seems the same with both channels. I guess I might need to see if it's a particular pedal that's reacting with the signal, but I doubt it since I've not had this issue with any other amp.

Might be a ground issue? Tube?

Any help/ideas appreciated. :)
    Greg

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

fred's amps are quite noisy. I thought something was wrong with mine at first ... it's kind of their trademark i guess. most of it is coming from the click channel.

that said, the pedalboard thing just sounds weird ... but i really doubt it's the amp ... i'd go through pedal by pedal and test it out.

jon

3. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

hmmm.. try ground lifting the pedalboard?

4. Distortion

Distortion Member

I have owned 8 Divided by 13 amps and none of them were what I would consider noisy...

5. Dennis E.

Dennis E. Silver Supporting Member

Hi,

Sorry if you've already tried this, but what does the amp do when you plug directly into it? Noisy?? or no noise??

If it's not noisy, then you can rule out the amp and start tracking down the pedal that might be causing the problem.

Are you using a power supply for your pedals? Maybe that's the culprit.

I've never heard of this problem, so am interested in what you find out.

good luck,
    Dennis E.

6. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Sounds like a ground loop problem. Try another outlet for the board and/or amp.

No BS dude, my 37 is very quiet. The click channel gives off some minimal hiss at high volumes (12:00+), but it is nothing compared to other higher gain amps I've had.

My rev channel is totally silent. Hard to tell it is even off standby even at 1:00+.

Try the ground thing, or maybe a tube is bad.

7. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Oops. I see you already tried other outlets. Maybe it's the AC chord?

I bet Fred will act like your crazy, but you may want to send it to him for a check up. Maybe that's why the dude sold it?

Great amp, and it shouldn't be making the noises your describing.

8. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i've owned 4 ... some are noisier than others ... some are dead silent ... the ftr37 was the noisiest one in my experience. Let me rephrase ... fred's amps that i have owned have been kind of noisy ... but once you're playing in a band or recording ... you don't even notice it. But then again ... i think all amps are noisy.

9. MarshallMan

MarshallMan Member

I bought a new 37 (my first /13 amp) and it had a louder than normal hum even with nothing plugged in the input. I had to crank one of my other amps to match the hum of the 37. I called Fred and he did some troubleshooting with me on the phone. The hum was in the click channel as mentioned in an earlier post. I sent it back to Fred and he quickly checked it out and responded that the hum was normal for that amp. I had the amp back in 2 days. If you can live with the hum, it is a great sounding amp as you probably know already. Plus Fred's customer service is top notch. I want to try out some of his other amps very soon.

10. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

My RSA 23 is very quiet. My ERT 33, while not as quiet, was quieter than most amps I've heard. You'd be hard pressed to find an amp that doesn't hum to some extent when cranked. You'll never hear it live.

peace
    -jeff

11. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I had hum issues with mine. Pedalboard with juicebox. Even with filtered, regulated power.

Guess what it was? My clone chorus didn't like to share power with some of the other pedals. My Lehle needs to be on its own ISO. I swapped around some pedals to different ISOs, and it went away.

12. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

It may be the proximity of the pedals to the amp. I have one great sounding wah that makes noise (hum) through one of my amps if it is within 2-3 feet. Move the pedalboard away (8 feet) while plugged in and see if you have the same problem. Some of the best sounding amps are very sensitive to nearby interference.

13. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Thanks guys...really appreciate the repsonses. I think I got it partially figured out. Tonight I got home plugged & played for a while (nice sounding amp!)...then tried it with the pedal board...bingo, no hum. Did some mysterious thing happen in the night?? :NUTS

Then I switched on my Colonial (and then my 18 watter) which is plugged into the other and...the hum returned. Then took the pedalboard out of the chain...hum gone again.

I think Shallbe has a point...amps like this are possibly sensitive to proximity and perhaps wiring in the walls & other stuff plugged in and drawing currnet? I may try swapping pedals around to see if that makes a difference, or as Peter mentioned, dealing with the ground (not sure how to go about that just yet). But the amp is fine.

As far as I'm concerned I've got it figured out well enough for now. "If" I ever "need" a multi-amp setup here in my home office/study, I'll deal with it then. ;) And concerning the noise floor thing...I encountered that with the Komet 60 I had, and quickly got over it.

Meanwhile...been using the reverb channel mostly so far (into the lo input)...pretty nice clean fendery tones with fatness, with that, I-wanna-break-up attitude going on.

And boy does it like pedals...esp. the Crunch Box & OCD, but really anything I've tried. Oh, the Crunch Box...I'm lovin that pedal. What I recall about playing GoodGas's FTR is the sweet/rich personality it had when cranked. I seem to be getting that even at low volume & a pedal...musically spongy, with nice depth and fatness. I could go on and on...honeymoon, ya know. :D

Thanks again for the suggestions...I'll post if discover anything else.
    Greg

[​IMG]

14. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

heheh. Yeah, I've found the my '37 is noisier through some circuits in my house than others. Overall, I'd call it moderately noisey on the click channel. The other channel doesn't really have an issue, noise-wise.

As for the pedals...man, do I ever agree about the Crunch Box (thanks Jeff!!) The '37's clean channel turns into a fire-breathing JTM-45 with the CB in front. Damn I love that freekin pedal!!!

15. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

BTW, G-R-E-A-T pic!!! Congrats.

16. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Thanks Leon. :)

17. landru64

landru64 Member

is that george l's stuff? recheck your connections... are any of those connectors touching one another?

18. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Yes on the George-Ls...nothing touching that I can see. I think doing the ground lift on the board ps might be the ticket...just have to dig up one of those 2-prong plug adapter thingies.

19. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I'm 99.9% sure if you use a ground lift on the ac of the pedalboard that your problem will be solved..

20. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Hey gkelm lol, I think you've got my old LDO! (Does it have a big chip in the front top corner?). I sold it to some dude in LA last year.

BTW, I had both a Cornish G-2 and the LDO at the same time with the 37. The G-2 absolutely kills with this amp. I didn't really dig the LDO with it.

How does the CJOD sound? Aren't the OCD and Crunchbox real similar with it?