%13 JRT combo tube rattle, can it be fixed ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jeffh, Feb 5, 2008.

1. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

I bought a %13 JRT combo about a month ago. I absolutely love the amp, all of the hype is for real. Gigged with it a few times, band practice, home use, great for all of them.

On the downside it has a horrible tube rattle. It's bad enough that you can hear it when it's mic'd through a PA or recording. I noticed it in the store but the sales guy assured me it was one of the other amps ( they have literally 40 or so amps all stacked on or near each other) it seemed plausible at the time.

I have tried all the usual things to fix it, changing tubes, tube guides etc... no luck. It does go away when plugged into a different cabinet.

I spoke with the dealer and they are happy to try to fix it They are a three hour drive away which is no fun, so I'll have to ship it or make the 6 hour trip twice.

I am pretty sure I can't get a refund, and would rather keep the amp anyway, but dropping that much money for something that is flawed is not sitting well with me.( There is a couple of small issues with the cabinet itself, I wonder if it was dropped in shipping, can't believe it would go out the door that way)

So my question is.... anyone managed to fix tube rattle, or is it one of those things that never goes away, once it starts ?

2. skylabfilmpop

skylabfilmpop Member

Have you reseated all the power tubes? are you hearing this with both the different tube sets or just one? Where do you set your cut control? Its probably a loose 6v6 from shipping, but I find el-e4's to have a raspiness in any amp if the high end is cranked up, and you are using a bright or unbroken in speaker. What speaker are you using? I love a G12M with mine. It is I think the perfect mate for that amp. Is your amp dented dinged up or what? if its damaged let your dealer know. If you are not digging what the dealer will do about the damage, contact Fred at /by. He is a cool enough guy to straighen it out for you. Its a great amp and I constantly get accolades on mine over my bandmates RSA31.

3. onemind

onemind Member

I've found many 6V6 tubes rattle especially in combos. I would try a few different sets (if you have access) to see if the noise is at least attenuated.

4. sicktone

sicktone Member

My JRT had a bad rattle as well. To make a long story short, I finally figured out that the spring on one of the tube retainers was rattling against the tube. I just bent the metal tab out of the way and the rattle was gone.

Hope your fix is this easy:BEER

PS--Glad I didn't call Fred with this issue.

5. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Have tried swapping out tubes. Actually replaced them all, no luck.

The rattle does happen with either set of power tubes, and you get a bit of it plugging a guitar into either input. Might be a loose preamp tube socket ?

Using the stock G12H, don't think it's cut control related as it does not rattle when plugged into my Bad Cat 2x12 or Vox 1x12. Just the combo.

The "damage" is subtle. I never noticed it when I first bought it, but the cabinet is not real tight. You can run your finger nail between the control panel and the back of the cabinet. In places you could probably slide a pick through.

Think I might give the tube retainers a try.