/13 MJL37 and JMI Amps JMI-15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tonefreak, Jan 6, 2008.

1. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Here's the group shot:
    [​IMG]
    Custom made Divided by 13 MJL 37. Dark green with cream "V". /13 logo glows green as well!! Full power is EL34 and half power utilizes the 6V6. Two transformers. I just got this from Fred via blugup today, and this thing is a beast! I set up clean and push with pedals. Cleans are nice and warm with a well rounded top end... definitely Marshall with Fred's own accents mixed in. I kicked in two different distortions and one OD... sounded good with all of them. Going to 6V6 takes the volume down a bit and the flavor of tone changes as well. More headroom and you get a nice Fender vibe.
    /13 2x12 is closed back loaded with greenbacks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up is a custom AC30 clone with a 15W power section, the JMI-15. Has all the jangle and feel a great vintage AC30, but with a 15W power section so your not pissing off the neighbors. Made for me by a local builder, Joe Morgan in Huntington Beach, CA. Anyone recognize Magic Amps? Magic Amps are rare... the "Brit" isn't made any more... well, to my knowledge. The Magic Amps 1x12 is an open back loaded with Celestion Blues, which is a perfect compliment to get that AC30 tone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, the Magic Amps 1x12

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both the MJL 37 and JMI-15 completes my tone trifecta with the Fender DRRI. Marshall, Fender, and Vox...

I'll try to record some clips next weekend.

2. Shon Kornfeld

Shon Kornfeld Member

wow, my man here gets a custom 2-off Divided by 13 amp and this thread quickly goes to page 2 with no replies?? maybe he should have put "Dumble/Ford tone!" in the title :cool:

3. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

D-
    Tone trifecta is spot on! Sweetness.....

I need a Badger to complete my trifecta:)

4. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

How did Fred fit all that into that small box? Geez he's got some skills.

What's the wattage in full and half power, 37 & 17? With an EL34 power section in full power, would the tone compare with the LDW? Looks great!

5. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Joe Morgan is a tone-meister.

That JMI has to sound great!

6. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

7. Telephile

Telephile Member

8. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Joe delivered big time and thru the Magic Cab, it sounds so nice. It's hard to describe, but the JMI-15 sounds like how an AC30 sounds like in my head. Nice punch and jangle... sounds great with my Suhr and Tyler, but my Fender Tele produced my favorite tone thru this amp.

The Divided by 13 MJL 37 best fits my tastes of all the /13's I have tried. Nice round top end... not spikey. Tight bottom end and great touch sensitivity. EL34 and 6V6 power sections give this amp added versatility. I don't usually use reverb, but this one is as nice as one's I've tried from the likes of Carr and Victoria. It's a shame that Fred won't put this one into his production line-up.

9. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Good question regarding the wattage... 37 full, but I'm not sure what it is a half power. There is a volume drop, but not much.

I don't like master volume amps, so my opinion isn't very objective. I know the LDW sounds great and Fred's take on the master volume is one of the best. But I would never buy a master volume amp because it just does something to tone, IMO.

Power scaling on the Suhr Badger is the only "master volume" I have ever liked... I would rather set-up clean and push with pedals before ever going to a master volume amp. Again, all of Fred's amps are great, but mv isn't for me.

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Really. Looks like a winner, for sure!

11. randy morser

randy morser Member

That sounds like a fantastic amp. I'll bet it's great in the studio, having both of those tones in one amp. Wow. Great. Can I have it?

12. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I'm not going to hype Fred's stuff... I believe his reputation and client list pretty much says it all.

I keep what I use and if something doesn't work for me, then I unload. I'm not a collector, but I do want to have a variety of tones for personal and business.

When I first received the RSA23, it really demonstrated how well /13 amps sit well in a recording mix as well as in a live situation. The RSA23 was a great amp, but I needed something more Plexi like... MJL37 did exactly that. Sold the RSA23 to get the MJL... like I mentioned, I keep what I use and unload anything else.

Please take note that the EL34 side is Plexi-like and NOT a Plexi clone. This is important to know because all the /13 vibe is in the MJL and it's also able to bring out some Plexi qualities that I enjoy. If I wanted a dead-on Plexi... I would have purchased a Germino or a Blankenship Variplex.

13. randy morser

randy morser Member

14. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Haha, yes, or a real Plexi!

15. straticus

straticus Member

Real nice set up. I sure would like to hear some clips of that JMI!

16. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

And you shall! I'm hoping to have some "me" time this weekend.

Not sure I can crank either amps... neighbors. Worst case will be a clean setup pushing with pedals. Since this is an amp thread, I will not reveal which pedals I use... you can PM me for that information when the clips are revealed in a separate thread.

I ran the MJL and the JMI together the other day... wow!!

17. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I'm kinda confused... is that JMI in any way related to this type of JMI???
    (the one behind the guitar on the right :)- also a JMI "15" (AC-15))

[​IMG]

18. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Not really... different person.

This JMI has cut, treble, bass and volume controls of the AC30 with a 15W power section. Voiced like an AC30... doesn't sound like an AC15 to me.

19. straticus

straticus Member

If I my be so bold, can I request at least one clip of just the amp (JMI), straight in, no effects. Maybe a strat and a Les Paul. Regardless of volume. I'm very interested in that amp and I'd love to get some sort of idea about it's tone. I sure would appreciate it!

peace......BC