/13 or 65 London Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Glowing Tubes, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

This year ('06) Im looking to get another killer amp and these two are front runners of the pack.
    I had a few minutes to play through a 65 London amp and was completely blown away. I have heard nothing but good things about /13.
    I realize these are different amps but has anybody out there played through both the Divided by 13 and the 65 London amp and can you give any thoughts on them?

Thanks!

RC

2. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Wow. . .I'm in the same quandary and those are the two amps I'm seriously lusting after. . .Bump for someone with experience with both. Oh, and if we could consider the /13 RSA23. . .Yeah, that's the one.

3. B Vance

B Vance Member

Andersonguy,

I have never played a /13, but I have played through a 65 London, and I must say it is hard to beat for the 18 watts it is. I played through one with my friend's 72 Custom Thinline Tele at Willcutt's down in Lexington while my friend was there buying a Maz Jr (18 watts as well). No doubt in my mind the London blew it out of the room, and if I were him I would have been coming out of there with the London, but $$$$ were a definite issue. There are about 5 or 6 amps on the market that really get my blood running hot, and the London is one of them. I only saw a combo there so I didn't have the chance to try out the head, but it was great none the less. If you do get one I would highly suggest investing in a good looper to use to switch between channels. Lots of different variations on board the amp itself. Plenty of sweet spots for whatever you are using too.

I have yet to play a /13. no dealers anywhere near me, but I know that there are alot of GPers who are pretty high on them. I think it would be tough for one to impress me more than the 65 London did. Plus the styling on them is sweet in my humble opinion. Just some thoughts good luck with your decision.

B

4. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

What kind of tone are you looking for? there are alot of D13's
    I have a rsa23 and had a london for a few weeks. the d13's are thick and big sounding compared to a London in my opinion.

5. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I have a London 65 and it is one of my alltime favorite amps. I highly recommend it. If you are looking for an amp in the 20-25 watt range I'd take the London over the SJT 10/20 I owned. I didn't much care for the SJT but I have never played the JRT or the RSA 23. I am very intrigued by the RSA 23 but talked to someone who owned it and he said it was really loud. The London 65 to me has the perfect volume.

Hard to say which amp you would like better. Out of the /13 I have tried I'd take my London 65 all day long. That is not to say though that the RSA 23 is the ticket. I'd love to try the RSA.

Chuck

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I love my RSA23 and traded my London.:AOK

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I have done some work for Fred on and off since last May so take that into account when evaluating my reply. (However, I'm not an employee, salesman or anything like that and am not compensated in any way based on sales or profits or anything like this...so I've got nothing to gain here.)

I got to hear Dan play through his London last summer and then got to play through it myself. Great sounding amp. Really liked how it did that 18W Marshall kind of thing. If you like that sound, I think you'll prefer it to the /13s--none of them really do that type sound per se. It's voxy side was really nice too. It's a great sounding amp.

But the /13s excell in the low-end dept. All of the /13 amps I've played has very excellent low end, IMO, but the bigger (two channel) models have a bit more to offer. The RSA23 is probably closer to the London type tones than any other /13 models but it really has notably better (IMO) low-end response. The FTR37, ERT33 and the newer AC30-like RSA31 do as well. The RSA31 is sort of like the London's more vox-like side; it also gets that lovely/complex upper midrange thing that AC30s do so well.

But the secret weapon that all of the bigger /13s have is the click channel--gobs of gain, but plenty of nice, solid low-end thump, yet they retain an amazing degree of touch-sensitivity, even with all the gain.

If you're more interested in a kind of souped-up Marshall plexi type sound, the JJN50-100 is the one you'll want to check out. One channel with master vol, effects loop. Lots of gain and aggression yet still extremely sensitve to guitar vol and pick attack changes. It's a killer.

8. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

Would I be correct in assuming the 65 doesn't have near the clean headroom as, say, the RSA31? I know the ERT33 had great cleans that would stay, clean, loud, which I liked, alot...

9. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I think you would be correct in assuming that.

Chuck

10. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I've got a London head and 2x12 as well as a D13 FTR37. Both are great sounding amps, although the two do not really make for an apples to apples kind of comparison. I think the RSA23 or 31 is probably closer to the London in terms of what the amps are going after.

That being said, I have to concur that the D13 just seems to be a much bigger sounding amp with more headroom.

Kenny M.

11. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

Thanks.

What would you compare the clean headroom to in the 65? As in volume before breakup?

12. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    Well, of course with an amp that is twice the power it is going to seem bigger with more headroom...:) I had a London and acquired a D/13 9/15 in a multi item trade.. I compared them for a short time and thought the 9/15 to be versatile and probably able to do what the London did pretty much although the London sounded bigger and had more low end than the 9/15. Plus the smaller head size is nice, that London is large although very light. I wanted to scrape up a bit of cash so I sold the London because it was the flavor of the month and I knew I could dump it quickly. I miss it now and want to get one back because the 9/15 just doesn't sound as big or as rich as the London did to me, particularly with pedals lighting the amps up. But there again, it gives away some power to the London as well. So you are right about the apples...;)

13. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

It's funny how everybody perceives things differently.

I had a /13 9/15 for a while. When I owned it, I bought a London head because I wanted to compare the two. I played both amps through an Avatar 2x12 with G12H30's in it. I liked the 9/15 a lot better than the London. I only had the London for two days before I sent it back, but I got to play it a lot. On the 9/15's EL84 setting, the amps sounded similar. I just thought the 9/15 had a lot more body to it. I'm not talking about a whopping low end, but just body. Does that make sense? I returned the London and sold the 9/15 a few months later. I'll tell you an amp that blew the doors off both of these. The matchless DC30. It's not fair to compare 2 EL84's to 4, but the matchless made me sell the 9/15.

14. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Completely grok that Mike. Right when the 9-15 came out, I tried one out. Thought it might knock my SC-30 off it's pedestal. I took the 9-15 home for a couple days and A/B'ed it. Nope. The SC-30 still ruled in my book in terms of the things that I love about EL84-based amps. In fact, for years, there was nothing that could knock the Matchless C-30 amps off that pedestal for me...until I tried the Roccaforte Rockie prototype.

[OT=way]Of course, there are plenty of others who wouldn't agree...but I dug the Rockie more because it has that great complex chime EL84 thing going on...and yet it has a more defined, more Marshall-like bottom. The SC-30 had a bit more body..but it wasn't as well defined. I also liked the Rockie better with pedals. I still love the Matchless amps--hell all the amps we're talking about here are pretty damn good!--and if I had an endless supply of space and money, I'd own them all :). [/OT]

15. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I guess when I said the FTR37 sounds bigger I should have mentioned that I was comparing it to my London with the 37 on half power mode. Still bigger or as better put by mjpisat - more body. All the D13's I've played so far just have such a solid feeling sound.

The one I really want to A/B to my London is the RSA31 for that Vox thing.

Kenny M.

16. GAT

The RSA23 retains it's body and punch at gigs, some amps seem to disappear or favor one frequency, but the RSA just sounds very solid and you can hear every note you are playing. I think it is about 2db louder than the London. Not much more but just enough to make it feel much bigger. I have yet to told to turn down. And I'm using a 4x12 Divided cab.

17. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

FYI at Winter NAMM next month, 65amps will debut the Marquee, a 4xEL84 amp that puts out in excess of 40 watts. It has a different tone stack configuration and is voiced differently than the London. In other words, it's not just a louder version of the London. I won't characterize the Marquee beyond that. Let your own ears be your guide.

18. GAT

Crap, I thought I was done, but the new one looks cool.

19. DanBoul

DanBoul Member

I would recommend both! Don't short yourself. You won't find two better amps than a D/13 and a 65! :AOK

Couldn't resist sorry . . . but it's actually true! LOL!!

Sincerely,

Dan

20. GAT

Dan,

When is the Marquee Club going to be available?