/13 vs 65...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jumpnblues, Jun 21, 2008.

1. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

...Just curious how the various models of each compare? Are they similar sounding amps? The clips of the 65s on their website sound very toneful. Anyone played through or own both that can give some comparisons? Thanks.

Tom

2. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

3. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Very nice, Bo. Sweet, rich, tone. Nice playing. Thanks for the clip.

Tom

4. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I played both the SoHo and the JRT 9/15. I bought the JRT. There's more 'magic' in that one, IMHO.

5. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

I think they're difficult to compare. 65Amps really tries to shoot for the vintage old-amp vibe while I believe /13 is more about their take on great-sounding amps loosely inspired by the greats. My SoHo is a great amp, but is definitely "old school". The /13's I've heard a a touch more modern and tighter in the bass, and often have alot more gain than the 65Amps stuff. Both make great amps, but I think the overall focus of each company is different.

6. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I have a London, FTR37 and RSA31. All great amps and all completely different. The London is only an 18 watter so it doesn't have nearly as much clean headroom as my D13's. The London has one channel in the Marshall area and the other more Vox AC15. The Vox side absolutely sounds nothing like an AC30 which the RSA31 nails really well and then some. The Marshall side is great with nice Marshally crunch and feel although it doesn't pack the wallop of an old 71' 50 Watter I have. This is to be expected and the London gets you into that range at a much lower volume. The FTR37 is more Fenderish, but gets you into Marshall territory.

The D13's are my favorites because they seem to have the best characteristics of the amps that Fred uses as starting blocks for his designs, but they also all seem to have their own personality, part of which is a huge solid bottom end.

All three of these amps record really well and sound best with their respective matching 2x12 cabs. You can't go wrong with any of them and there's no real way to know which one will be your favorite without trying each.

7. Telephile

Telephile Member

I currently have an FTR37 and a 65 Marquee Club. There is definitely no clear winner. Both are incredible. I have also owned and played a RSA23 and a RSA31. Equally fantastic. The FTR has some of the best Fender, Marshall sound ever, and the Marquee has some of the best Vox, Marshall ever. I think the Marquee may have more of a Classic Vox sound that is slightly refined. Where the RSA31 had even more of a refined character.

8. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

By "old school" do you mean tweed, blackface, silverface, 50's sounding, 60's sounding? And what do you mean by "more modern". I'm just not sure what your take on these terms is? I've now heard clips of both /13 and 65 amps and they both do indeed sound beautiful...all models.

Tom

9. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

No winner here.

Both D13 and 65 make fantastic stuff.

My personal favorite from 65 I own is the 65 London and its one of the finest amps I've ever played. Simply one of the best at smooth and natural drive. Cleans are incredibly punchy and clear. Not forgetting the killer cabs they make as well. I've got the 2x12, tight yet airy.

In the D13 are simply contagious and addicting. You just can't have one. I've had the FTR37 and its the best 6V6 loaded amp I've had the pleasure of owning. I currently own a RSA31 and its a Vox on steroids. It doesnt stop there, I plan to get a JRT, EDT, and an LDW in the future.

Again, no winner.

10. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

I wish there were more clips of /13 amps available. They used to have 'em on their website. I wonder why they took them off? I'm especially liking the FTR37.

Tom

11. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

I got onto a D13 fix a month or two ago, I just about gave up because It was near impossible to find clips or video. We should start a thread for all of the D13 clips and video. Unfortunately, I'm feeling the GAS for a D13 again, so it looks like I'm going to have to retry to find clips.

12. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Not exactly an amp that's associated with straight/traditional blues but I'm bettin' it would sound killer doin' it. I play on the very edge of breakup and like to get a "clean sustain" thing going. And I think the FTR37 would do that inspades. I like to think of using "odd" amps or amps you wouldn't normally think of using for blues such as /13, 65, Brown Note, Two Rock, Fuchs, Bruno, and Matchless (yes, I know Jimmie Vaughan uses one) among others.

Tom