14 Opamp Chips Tested with Timmys----Judge for yourself in audio test

Discussion in 'Pedals and Effects Demo Videos and Soundclips' started by Angle Loss, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Member

I decided to make a little clip of 14 different chips being used in my twin Timmys to see what difference they made. Follow the link for the clips. One is just the soundclip, and the other (labeled) has audio labels for the chips. The clip was made with a alder/maple strat, Suhr p/u's (first n+m, then just neck) into a '65 Princeton NR w/ Weber alnico, miked with a Sm57 about an inch off the grill, mostly on axis, off the cone maybe an inch. The two Timmys are set with all knobs straight up noon. Generic classic rock noodling ;)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=471217&content=music edit: link has been changed to soundclick.

I was curious and figured the community here would be as well. Hopefully it will be a useful resource for you guys on picking chips out.

-Chris

2. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Supporting Member

Wonderful! Very well done. Thank you for taking the time.

What I come away with is that I probably couldn't tell if a chip was swapped between the time it would take to get one out and another one popped in.

Don't get me wrong- I do hear differences. But none are bad, or better, or worse. And none screw with the main audible character of the pedal. I know from past experiments that feel is one of the factors, but also only negligibly. I'll trust Paul and stay with the one he popped in there.

Thanks again. Very cool undertaking.

3. 12StringStrat

12StringStrat Member

I like the JRC 4559 clip and the TL072ACN clip.

Thanks for taking the time to help everyone else.

4. dbx

dbx Member

Nice work! You even got the Eternity "mystery" chip in there...how did you do the swaps so seamlessly? (or is that good editing?) I wonder if more differences would be apparent at the higher end of the gain/drive range...thanks for the reference...:cool:

5. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Member

Thanks guys. Some of the differences can be pretty subtle. I do love the TL072ACN though in the Timmy. The LM11458 is nice also and a little bit warmer. I just wondered exactly what they would sound like all together to see if what I percieved seperately was true. I swapped two chips at a time with the both Timmys. It still took a long time, but was much faster than one at a time. I did test some of them at higher gain settings, but didn't feel there was as much difference, plus I use other pedals for higher gain anyway. Please keep the observations coming, I think it is interesting to find which chips everybody likes/dislikes.

6. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I totally agree. I did the same test myself without the clips and I came to the same conclusion. I'm glad to have these clips to back up what I found. Thanks a ton for doing this.

7. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

Great clips. When I ran through a bunch of opamps on the Timmy a while back I decided that I liked the original the best. I felt the same way from your clips.

8. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Member

I never felt that the Timmy was great for leads but loved it for rhythm work. The TL072 made it feel better for leads for me. That is one of the harder things to communicate in clips is how each affects the feel. For instance, the JRC4458 and TA7558 felt congested in the midrange, whereas the LM1458 and RC4558 were clearer.

9. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

Where do you get your opamps? I can't find the TA7558 or the TL02202CP.

10. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Member

Most opamps I get from Small Bear Electronics on the web. The TA7558 came out of a 1985 TS-9 Tube Screamer. Funny thing is it didn't sound too bad in the Timmy but it was absolutely wretched in the TS-9!

11. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

This is great! I probably liked the JRC4559 the best, but it's close

ChampReverb likes this.
  12. trishoot

trishoot Gold Supporting Member

Thanks a ton for doing this! +1 on the LM1458.

13. brianf

brianf Member

First, thank you for the hard work!!!!

To me some siound the same. I could not tell the diff but after a few listens the TL072ACN stood out for me.

brianf

14. aeonlux

aeonlux Member

Thanks for this. I listened 5 times over, taking notes on the last 3 passes. Of all of them, I have two faves:

#1 - "cleaner" = TL072ACN - I loved the overall balance, chord definition, and singing quality of the lead tone.

#2 - "pushed" = JRC4559 - A very musical (to my ear) saturation and character.

cheers,
    Ian

15. Boogie Boy

Boogie Boy Senior Member

I thought the metal zone sounded the best:NUTS

16. ♪♪♫♫♪

♪♪♫♫♪ Senior Member

17. cber1517

cber1517 Supporting Member

+1 - Does anyone use the LM1458 in their Blues Pro?

:munch

18. steinwand

steinwand Member

thx alot for doing this - inspired me to swap too :AOK

19. steinwand

steinwand Member

btw: corksniffery in perfection - love it!

20. odourboy

odourboy Member

Thanks for doing all this work. You've pretty much demonstrated what I've felt for a while... the differences are more subtle that some would have you believe. :dude