141 Jazz Guitar Licks - TAB and Audio

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by MattWarnockGuitar, Sep 14, 2015.

1. MattWarnockGuitar

MattWarnockGuitar Member

Hey Everyone

Just wanted to pass along a new page on my site that has 141 Jazz Guitar licks.

http://mattwarnockguitar.com/jazz-guitar-licks

All the greats are there, Wes, Benson, Metheny, Martino, and more.

Check it out, thanks!

kidmo, Datsyuk and jkendrick like this.
  2. Seraphine

Seraphine Member

Most excellent work Matt and the content is great. Even on dial-up that we have here ( old 56k modem/phone line ) <--- we're too far on a mt. top in the country to have broadband.

Most everything ( except audio files ) is fast on your page.. so it's all still very accessible and nice.

3. MattWarnockGuitar

MattWarnockGuitar Member

Thanks! I just set up a new system for people with low-speed connections. It should get better over the week as the system takes place. Basically it will recognize your low speed connection and only load pictures/audio that you're looking at, speeding up load time and not wasting your bandwidth. It will also start to cache the audio/pictures on servers closer to you, about 20 around the world, for faster upload, and again less need for bandwidth on your end. Should help speed things up even more. Cheers.

4. townsend

townsend Member

Very nice done. Thanks for sharing.

5. MattWarnockGuitar

MattWarnockGuitar Member

6. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

This is great stuff! I checked 'em all out. I identified 33 licks I definitely want to learn. Question for you, as a novice jazz player who is currently trying to learn Autumn Leaves, I pulled together a bunch of these licks and strung together a solo for Autumn Leaves. I figured putting it into context would help it get in my head and under my fingers. Do you think this is a good approach?

7. MattWarnockGuitar

MattWarnockGuitar Member

Thanks, I think that's a great idea. I always think of great solos as being compositions in real time. So if you practice composing solos at first out of tempo, then learn them up to speed, you're building the skills to create a solid solo in tempo. As long as you eventually move towards improvising then it'll work out great.

Try this. After you've learned the licks you've strung together, try playing them all over the track as written. Then, start to alter the rhythms a bit of the licks. Then take a few notes away. Then add a few notes in here and there. This way you'll start with a memorized solo, but use it to bridge that gap towards improvising in real time.

8. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

9. MattWarnockGuitar

MattWarnockGuitar Member

Very cool! The next step, after improvising with this arrangement, would be to switch them around a bit. So play the licks in bars 9-16 over 1-8 and vice versa. When you can do that on paper, do it in the moment. This'll again help with applying licks to tunes in a musical way over time.

10. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

I may regret posting this as it is still not very good, but I wanted to show how much this is helping a novice player like me. This is pieced together and still not very smooth. And I know writing a solo out by pasting together others' licks isn't what improv is all about, but this exercise has really helped me to get a feel for what goes into a good ii-V-I lick. And I'm already beginning to incorporate some of these ideas into my normal rock settings. Anyway, here is what I pieced together from a bunch of these licks (solo begins at 0:57).

Thanks so much, Matt.

11. MattWarnockGuitar

MattWarnockGuitar Member

Hey

Very cool man, thanks for posting. Some great licks in there! Though you're using the vocabulary it doesn't sound forced, which is a good start. Keep working on getting in and out of the licks, as that's the next step. So lead in with a bit of your own improv and out with a bit of your own improv. That would be the next step to explore, but so far so good. Cheers mate!

12. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

Thanks. I'm definitely going to be taking some of these concepts and writing my own solo. It just really has helped me to get started to do it this way first. Maybe eventually I'll be able to create licks like these in the moment, but that feels a long way off. At 45, I'm likely never going to become a great jazz player, but I enjoy it and already feel some of these ideas creeping into my regular rock setting playing. I just wanted to post some results so you folks who provide these lessons know there are those of us that really use them and appreciate the effort. So thanks again.

13. MattWarnockGuitar

MattWarnockGuitar Member

Cool man, glad you're working on the Jazz material. Never too old to learn. I have students in their mid 80's who still practice Jazz every day, starting in their 80s, and have managed to get to a solid level of playing. Just have fun with it. And thanks again.