15-20w amp for Matchless Chieftain sound for small gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rockindillo, Jan 4, 2008.

1. rockindillo

rockindillo Member

My main amp is a Matchless Chieftain 2x12 combo, which I love to death. Only problem is it's a loud mother and at low volumes I find I'm missing some of the guts and power the Matchless gives me when I can wind up the wick a bit.

This has got me looking for a 15-20w amp I can crank at smaller/quieter gigs and get a similar vibe and sound.

I once tried a Lightning, but was singulaly unimpressed. The Dr Z Maz 18 is one I'm considering - do you guys reckon that would hit the spot. If not, what else do you suggest?

Anyone selling anything that fits the bill?

BTW, I would prefer a head, so I can use it with one of the two or three nice cabs I have (1x12s, 1x15s 2x12s) for maximum flexibility.

I would also prefer it to have reverb.

Over to you, guys...

2. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Member

Seeing as how the Chieftain uses EL34's, I'd try something with 6v6's, but not a Fender-based design.
    To me alot of 6v6 based amps sound very similar to EL34 amps when they start to open up.
    Is reverb a deal breaker?
    Perhaps some other members can chime in here and let us know.

3. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

You may want to consider the Matchless Avenger 30 head with reverb. I have not played one personally but, I spoke with Phil at Matchless about them a few months back when I was considering pursuing one (and will someday!!!). He told me that the Avenger 30 is essentially the same preamp as the Chieftain, with maybe a couple different values on a resistor/cap here or there. So, you've go the right preamp into a 4xEL84 cathode biased output section. - 30 watts. It's also got a 1/2 power switch, like the C-30 series, so you're there. Chieftain preamp section, and in 1/2 power, approx 15w power section. Sounds like the right option for you to me! Another cool feature is you can bypass the master volume like on the C-30 series if you like!

4. rockindillo

rockindillo Member

Mmm... interesting. Thanks Wonder what the odds would be of finding one of those at a reasonable price, here in the UK?

Couple of other thoughts... There are plenty of other Chieftain users here. What do you guys use for small gigs?

And how about power soaks/attenuators? Anyone used one with a Chieftain and how effective/safe have they proved?

5. rockindillo

rockindillo Member

Any thoughts, then, you fellow Chieftain owners?

6. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Two things come to mind... a.) use an attenuator; b.) I like gtrfinder's 6V6 suggestion... perhaps a Germino Club 40 loaded with 6V6s, or a Masonette?

7. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I had a Chiefatin 2x10 that was fantastic at low volumes.. i actually liked it better at low volumes vs. cranked. Maybe a 1x12 cheiftain would be the ticket for you

8. rockindillo

rockindillo Member

Maybe I should bite the bullet and drag out the Chieftain 2x12 combo (all 85lbs of it!) and use it to drive the 1x12 cab...
    A bit like overkill, but might be worth a try, I guess, unless anyone else has any suggestions.

Anyone here used a power attentuator with a Cheiftain? Whick one> What does it sound like - and did the tubes/trannies survive the experience OK?