15-30w, 1x12-2x12, for metal

cam.man67

My buddy is setting up a small recording studio in his apartment geared primarily to higher gain and metal players. He's asking me for amp advice, but being mostly a lower gain blues and P&W player I can't really give any good recommendations.

He has a Bogner Uberschall (well, not his, but on loan from a friend) and 4x12 cab, but that's a lot of amp for a small space. I'm thinking something in the 15-30 watt range with a 1x12", maybe 2x12". What amps are out there ideally suited for metal in that range? He won't go solid state or digital modeling.

T Dizz

Peavey 6505 MH (25watts) and a any cab. That's what I would do. The amp can also go direct without a cab

Archon 25, 6505 mini as stated above, recto mini, Mark V mini, there are TONS of options in that wattage range. Unlike a few years ago

EyeUrnMayDen

Archon 25, 6505 mini as stated above, recto mini, Mark V mini, there are TONS of options in that wattage range. Unlike a few years ago

+1

Valveking MH does some pretty great metal tones too.

Tried out the peavy 6505 piranha and was pretty unimpressed.

If you are looking at smaller cabs check out the mesa rectifier 1x12 cabs. they sound HUGE.
Also the Mesa Theile.

The Orange OR15 sounds really badass too. But you only have one channel. Could get a DRRI and run a burnley or the almighty BEOD into it as well. I heart the BEOD

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
Bogner Atma is perfect for that situation. that amp is a ton of fun and can absolutely scream.

Axe-Man

Nearly all of the suggestions are little amps which are still really loud but lack the clarity and girth of a big amp.

Simply get a Dual Rectifier and a couple of different flavoured boosts/OD's or a 5150 and run them through a big 4x12.

No need for big volumes and it'll sound killer.

Ironically the Recto if THE only amp out of lots of variously sized amps I've owned that truly sounds good (retains its character and voicing) even at lower levels. It's also sounds really good recorded.

Who would have thunk it. Metal in a box.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom