15” Guitar Speakers

jaydub69

I’m toying with the idea of trying a 15” speaker for some reason. I was originally going to go with a 2x12 cab with my new Benson Monarch, but it’s not as practical for transporting, etc. Specifically I’m interested in the new Wheelhouse 200 from Eminence as I’m very happy with the Eminence speakers I’ve played and I love the clips/video.

It’s been suggested to me that 15’s are a bit more spongy or elastic feeling which seems to make sense since my 12’s seem to have these traits more so than my 10’s. What other general characteristics might be applied to 15’s versus 12’s? Not necessarily one speaker over another, but overall. Would love to hear everyone’s experience. Used to use, still using, love, hate...

mchap11

I have a Musicman 65-15 I've only been able to use a couple of times. Last time--a drummer said, "Don't ever point that thing at me again." I love that 15" SOB and wish I could play it more. Just kills!

Still have my slant 15" cab from my RMI 140. Full warm sound that fills the room. Has handled ever head I've thrown at it.
I mainly play clean/Jazz/Blues, Bass and Mids blend well, even has a couple of tweeters that I really cant hear but know their there.

BlueRiff

Probably the closest functional 15” I’ve tried is the Emi Legend 151 and that was just adequate. It sounded great for jazz but that’s about it. Going to 15 speaker severely limits your choices and you pick up the disadvantages mentioned. I prefer 12s and 10s. The fact that there are so few 15 inch speaker choices by itself is evidence that guitarists don’t pursue this speaker size much.

musekatcher

I'm enjoying 15s with Fender amps, Eminence, JBL, and Altec. Think early Vibrosonic, or Vibroverb. Its hard to generalize. I will say the band can hear me better thru a 15", and icepick is less of an issue than a single 12. Compared to twin 12s, there might be less advantage, although the 15 tames icepick really well. I'd say a 15 can offer advantages over a single 12, maybe less advantage over twin 12s.

rambleon

I scored an open back 1x15 cab for free a while back and decided to try a Celestion Fullback. I have to say that's hands down the best cab/ speaker combo I've played through - tonally rich, balanced and it really projects. Best of all, it sounds great with Fender or Marshall (plexi) voiced amps.
None of the negative tonal descriptions by any of the posters in this thread are valid, at least with this speaker.

Not at all my experience with 15"s. I have a 1962 Fender Pro W/ Jensen Vibranto and a 1966 Gemini II w/ Altec 417. Plus 3 2X15 cabs and a couple single cabs including Jensen P15N's, Jensen Vibrantos, Jensen Concert's Altecs, EVM's, JBL's and an old square magnet Eminence. I don't have much experience with newer drivers but I like my tone clear and punchy with a bit of hair, definitely not muddy or bassey. My 1967 Fender Bassman through a pair of 12" EV and a pair of 15" EV is simply glorious. To each there own, I think there is to many different drivers and amps to generalize.
Thanks John

Last edited:

alivegy

Celestion has the fullback 15 which could be worth checking out. Ive never played one but have heard a couple Of recordings and they sounded great. Almost tempted to make a 2x15 cab for it.

Greentone

Useless bass drum lows, no mids, harsh, spikey highs. Overall nasally, honky, congested. Flabby and slow.
Unnatural and wrong sounding.

That goes for all of them. I have tried them all.

I'm with you on that one. I have a 5E5A clone that is the perfect power level for a lot of the gigs I do, but I don't like the 15. I love that thing when I plug it into a cab with a good 12 in it. I think I'm gonna replace the baffle and put a Celestion Gold in there and call it a day.

jmoose

I have a Marshall JCM 800 2x15 bass cab, forget the model but it's mid 80s & looks like a 4x12 straight but is extra deep.

Sounds massive. Deep & smooth. Creamy, no ice pick. One of my favorite cabs. Has the original Celestions and is rated at something like 400 or 500 watts. Miles of headroom & no compression.

Doesn't go anywhere, studio cab only but it's a total secret weapon. I've actually never plugged a bass head into it only guitars.

hank57

Silver Supporting Member
I have two Weber 15s, a blue 50 watt and 15F150. I also have a Mongrel JBL 2220 0r 2202 re-coned with a D130 kit.

I love 15s

Oinkus

I built a cheap small cab and put a Jensen Mod 15-120 in it and it sounds pretty good. I know a guy that has a single Celestion Fullback 15 cab and he loves it , clips are great sounding .

hogy

Hasn't been my experience at all but I play low tuned baritone guitars and 15" speakers fit perfect along side 12" speakers. The two sound amazing together.

Well, you basically play bass, and 15" speakers do that ok. Then you add 12s, which fill in all the sonic gaps left by the 15s. Yeah, that's one way to make 15" speakers work.

Last edited:

hogy

I'm with you on that one. I have a 5E5A clone that is the perfect power level for a lot of the gigs I do, but I don't like the 15. I love that thing when I plug it into a cab with a good 12 in it. I think I'm gonna replace the baffle and put a Celestion Gold in there and call it a day.

Go for it! Here's my Pro, it's a killer sounding amp:

EupN89i.jpg

And here's why:

WeBFBsn.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom