15" Speaker for Twin Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rlc478464, Oct 4, 2008.

1. rlc478464

rlc478464 Member

I heard someone playing a Twin Reverb with a 15" speaker in it and really liked the sound. I am toying with the idea of trying this in my BF Twin Reverb. Any suggestions?

2. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

An EVM 15L would be the shizzle

3. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    I just got off the phone with a friend who has a 72 silverface and a Vintage JBL 130

Make sure to replace the baffle with good wood and save the old one

4. shuie

shuie Member

Timely thread. Didn't Fender make a Twin Reverb with a 15" speaker. Not the Steel King, wasn't there another amp based on the Twin Reverb? I think I remember reading about Kenny Wayne Sheppard using one along with two Twin Reverbs in either a guitar magazine or maybe on a website in the late '90s. Am I making this up, or did Fender make an amp like this? I know its a popular conversion for steel players.

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

6. shuie

shuie Member

Thank you, sir. That's the one.

7. kimock

kimock Member

Try an 8 ohm K130 JBL.
    I think the D130's sound better with lower power amps.
    The K series seem to take the higher power guitar application more gracefully.
    The EV is a good choice too, indestructible, but not quite as pretty sounding as the JBL at low volume, and nowhere near as ugly as the JBL turned all the way up.

peace

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  8. Buddy Boy

Buddy Boy Member

Do you get a little lower headroom with the 8 ohm load? This would not necesarily be bad.

9. kimock

kimock Member

The 8 ohm JBL on the 4 ohm Fender amp is a very nice sound, about 30% down on power with a little less top and bottom.

10. rlc478464

rlc478464 Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I can get Will at Armadillo Amp Works to make a new baffle, probably have him offset the speaker. He makes nice cabs by the way, did a replacement cab for the Twin, which looks and sounds great. I see there is a 4 ohm K 130 jbl speaker on Ebay now. I assume that would be a bit louder than the 8 ohm, maybe more high end?

11. kimock

kimock Member

Overall it'll have a little more of everything, which isn't neccesarily the best thing for everything overall. . .

You'll pick up a little spank for the clean chord stuff, lose a little glow for the single string melody stuff.

With the 8 ohm speaker in the twin you have the option of running the mismatch for slightly less power and a warmer sound with all four tubes, or pulling two tubes for a slightly less powerfull but impedance correct clean sound.
    You can also add an additional 8 ohm speaker with all four tubes if you really need the stage volume or headroom. At that point pulling the ext cab gets your mismatch "glow" back.

The 4 ohm K130 will sound great for sure, but it doesn't leave you those options for moving the sweet spot of the amp around dynamically.
    That's probably not an issue if you're just looking for headroom for pedals, or if you're a dedicated clean headroom steel guitar guy, but if you like to bat the amp around a little, and you're playing large and small venues like I do, the 8 ohm speaker option with the Twin brings a lot of versatility.

have fun!

12. rlc478464

rlc478464 Member

I saw a JBL K 130 which had been reconed with a paper dust cap. Is the aluminum dust cap desirable for this kind of set up?

13. disaster

disaster Member

My brother has a relatively new Twin Custom 15, and it sounds fantastic. I spent most of the weekend playing it- filled out his tele nicely. I believe it has an EV speaker. Sounds great with fuzz. Stays very clean, with just a little gain at 10, like any Twin.

14. rlc478464

rlc478464 Member

Any comments on aluminum dust cap versus paper in this speaker?

15. kimock

kimock Member

I don't have any any idea what kind of sound you're going for, so it's hard to say if the dust cap will be a deal breaker for you.
    I prefer my JBL recones to be as close to stock as possible, and don't care for the paper dome on the D series speakers.
    At the same time, I prefer the sound of the Altec Lansing 12s' without the metal dome, and use the stock JBLs and the paper dome Altecs together and they sound f#ckin' awesome like that, so it's possible you'll dig it.
    It's not a big deal to change the dome; if that speaker is sitting right there and it's cheap, try it. . .

peace

16. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

The soundman is going to love you when he sees your Twin, especially with a 15!

I have a 15 in my Victorilux, which is 35 watts. I can't imagine that x 2 plus!

Isn't it kind of overkill on the clean headroom? There's a reason pedal steel players dig this set up, but guitar?

Just wondering.

17. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I know fellow TPG'r frankiestarr has a 15 in his BFTR. Maybe he'll chime in as to which spkr. he uses, as I 've heard it and it sounds fantastic. Do a search and PM him, I'm sure he'll advise you.

18. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

Fender had the Vibrosonic from '72-'81. It was basically a Twin Reverb with an 8 ohm OT and a 15" speaker.

Then beginning in '95 came the "Custom" Vibrasonic, basically a '65 Twin Reverb Reissue with an 8 ohm OT and a 15" speaker.

-Tim

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  19. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

The best clean tone I ever found was a non-master SF Twin Reverb pushing the stock 12" speakers with a D-130 in an extension cab. I have an EVM 15L sitting in a box waiting for a combo cab for my Dual Showman Reverb. I like K-130's, too.

20. visionary

visionary Member

I've got a pair of the Twin 65 custom 15's - absolutely awesome amps, has a very raw SRV type of tone, maybe my favorite drive tone ever with a bit of boost behind it but it can get nasaly off of pedal drive. The driver in the amp is an Eminence which is voiced to sound like the JBL D130.