15" speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by valentine, Oct 5, 2006.

1. valentine

valentine Member

Hi, I bought an empty speakercab for one 15" speaker yesterday. I have always wanted to try my amp with one 15" speaker, but since this is new ground for me to break I would like some help. Which speaker should I try?
    Want headroom and good bassresponse.

Thanks/Johnny

2. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Before a recommendation, what are the specs on the cabinet? The baffle mounting, size, back can all depict whether or not you'll get good headroom and bass responce. Also what amp are you working with?

3. valentine

valentine Member

Hi, it's a closed back cabinet with two soundports under the speaker. Size about 19,5x23,5x13,5. I use a -73 deluxe reverb and a custommade head with 4 el84.

/Johnny

4. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I'd recommend picking up a JBL D130F.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Eminence Big Ben. It's just killer.

6. pitbull45

pitbull45 Member

For headroom and bass response

Weber Ceramic Michigan 15"
    Eminence Big Ben

7. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Weber 15F150 in the 30 watt version.

8. Kenster

Kenster Member

I have heard the Eminence Legend sound pretty good for a 15 in. but I haven't heard one. Tone Quest gave a :AOK when used in Fender Viborverb and I believe some model Peavy that uses 15's. However with the ports below the speaker on your cab that could change everything. Fortunately Eminence speakers are relatively cheap.

Cheers

9. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

With something as bright as a Deluxe I would think a paper dome speaker would be best. If you've got any older music stores in your area you might call around and see what they've got. The old CTS square magnet 15s that came in Kustoms are supposed to be good. A Jensen 15 would be good.

10. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Legend 151 in a smallish mostly open cab here and it sounds "normal." Slightly scooped, still bright, decent but not boomy bass, efficient; just about exacltly what I was looking for in this application i.e. bright and bassy.

11. 59model

59model Member

+1 and I never liked 15`s for guitar till I tried this one.:dude

12. Gries Amps

Gries Amps Supporting Member

Valentine - The cab you described sounds more like a bass cabinet. The times I've had to play guitar through a 15" bass cab (I double on guitar & bass at a church with no room for 2 amps.) have been less than rewarding. When I think of a 15" speaker for guitar, a Vibroverb with an open back comes to mind. I think your cab will have much more influence on the tone than your choice of speaker.

13. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

+1 most definately.

14. valentine

valentine Member

Well it's sort of a allroundcabinet, not sure if it will work but I will make an openback of it. Closedback cabs never did it to me.

/Johnny

15. 6789

6789 Member

I liked the eminence legend 15" in a victoria regal I used to own. right now I have an extension cab for my Juke 1210. the extention has a weber ceramic michigan 15". for me and my guitars (I use old 60s cheapo guitars that have lots of knobs and tend to have a duller tone than new guitars), on it's own it doesn't have enough high end. but it is fine alongside the Juke 1210 with has one 12" and two 10" speakers. the michigan gives lots of good low end.

16. doctorx

doctorx Member

I have an Eminence Big Ben in my Kay 720, it's warm and smooth. I also have a Ted Weber reconed D130 that sounds great.

17. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I like EVs, JBLs and Peavey Scorpios-all pretty bright with good bass response. Although for only a Deluxes input, you could find the driver from a 60s stereo speaker cab-usually 15-25w alnico drivers that have a creamy breakup. You'd just be a bit short of bass response with that.

18. Calloway

Calloway Member

Big Ben!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. hasserl

hasserl Member

I've got an old Alamo Paragon Bass amp with a bass reflex cabinet w/ a Jensen C15N, it sounds fantastic for guitar! Absolutely fantastic.