15-watt speaker with an 18-watt Class A amp?

Crowder

Dang Twangler
I have a WGS Black and Blue that is rated 15 watts at 8ohms. I am thinking of installing it in a Top Hat Club Royale rated at 18 watts.

Crazy, or crazy enough that it just might work? And no, I'm not likely to use the amp with the MV dimed, certainly not on a regular basis.

Also, I have a Dr. Z Brake Lite that I could install in the amp if the volume is too much for my bandmates. Would using the attenuator be more likely to prevent me from blowing the speaker?

Thanks!

amp boy

yes, if you crank the amp and also use pedals.
i'd say your fine sans atten with the speaker if your going 75% crank

Rattle&Hum

Adding the attenuator - even at the slightest levels of attenuation - would be good protection for the speaker.

Although... you might be better off selling/trading the WGS in favor of a higher wattage speaker. Its an awfully expensive amp to be gambling with.

coldfingaz

How hard are you going to be pushing the Top Hat?

I run my 18 watt Carmen Ghia through a couple of different 1x12's. If I'm cranking it up &/or using a lot of boost, I'll take the one with a 50 watt Emi Red Fang. Otherwise, I have no concern about using the 112 with a Celestion Blue. The 15 watts is conservative, but these speakers are not cheap & if you know you'll really be pushing the Top Hat or running boost pedals, etc. through it, you can't be too careful.

I will say that with the Ghia's volume up between noon and 3, the Blue sounds magical and it's LOUD as hell because that is one very efficient speaker.

If you're worried at all about a Blue, maybe get a Gold & don't think about it.

Brock

I ran my Celestion blue with my 18 watt amp and cranked it all the way. Go for it, it won't hurt it. Just think of all he older Marshall's and Vox's that ran blues in them. They like the wattage.

powermatt99

Technically speaking, the amps wattage rating applies to clean, not overdriven, tones. If you overdrive the power section, it can put out more Watts than rated. Proceed at your own risk.

skylaiden

Could I get some more opinions on this? I'm running a 15W speaker into a 20W amp. I called the manufacturer twice to get different opinions, and they were mostly in favor of it. I'd like to know what anyone here thinks.

Also, what are signs that your speaker is going to break? The Ampeg guy said to look for the farting sound. Anything other warning signs to look out for?

Thanks,
k

Trending Topics