• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

$1500 1x12" tube combo for rock and blues...

... go!

I have a few bones burning a whole in my pocket. This bad boy is for a cover band. We do a broad range from some cleans like Jerry Garcia Grateful Dead Fendery-hi fi to Warren Haynes / Allman Brothers blues to a little rock (Led Zep and some early Van Halen).

I was thinking about that Marshall Jubilee 2525C or maybe something from Allen Amps or Redplate. 1 or 2 channels is fine. No need for elaborate outputs and doo-hickeys. I have a Friedman BE-OD pedal if it's a clean pedal platform, so no sweat there (if I need to get the dirt from a pedal).

I really don't feel like I need more than 25 watts and so long as I can keep up with a drummer, I'm comfortable going much lower.

Used is fine -- good in fact. Oh yeah, lighter is better -- I do have a Quilter Aviator 1x12" that I've been using (with the Friedman pedal) but I really have the itch for a tube amp.

Thoughts?

Fretsalot

Not very light, but my vote goes for a Marshall JCM 800 4010 model 50w 1x12 combo. It's the 1x12 combo version of the very popular 2204 head. Based on condition and details (6550 or EL34 power tubes? speaker model? vertical or horizontal inputs?) you can probably pick one up from $750 to $1100.

Happy Hunting,

Fretsalot/Scott

django49

About a year ago I paid exactly $1500 for a Mesa Mark V 1 x 12 combo, excellent shape, upgraded cover/grill from a private party. If that would not give you pretty much all you need, including a hernia if you are not careful, I am not sure what would.

Jr Deluxe

Not very light, but my vote goes for a Marshall JCM 800 4010 model 50w 1x12 combo. It's the 1x12 combo version of the very popular 2204 head. Based on condition and details (6550 or EL34 power tubes? speaker model? vertical or horizontal inputs?) you can probably pick one up from $750 to $1100.

Happy Hunting,

Fretsalot/Scott
Good amp . Things have shifted with the price . $1100 is now the low to middle. About 12 bills for a vertical input. Maybe cheaper for a horiz input. I would only get s horiz if i could play it first. Some of those are dogs. I know. I got bit.

ekkybedmond

Happy Hunting,

Fretsalot/Scott
Or have someone build you a Ceriatone 2202 or 2204

guitarjb44

Silver Supporting Member
If you don't mind used, you might find a used Marshall 1974X (1x12) or 1958X (2x10) for around $1500. Both excellent!

walshb

You already mentioned a good candidate, the Marshall Jubilee 2525C. These are really versatile amps, the EQ knobs work great, not the best channel switcher depending on the settings you're using, but it can also work great, again depending on your settings. It has a great clean channel, and a better gain channel that cleans up when rolling back the guitar volume. Effects loop works well also, and takes pedals well. Perfect for classic rock and blues. I'm a big fan of all the bands you mentioned and this amp will fill the bill.

tmac

Goldmember
Platinum Supporting Member
I mainly use a Deluxe Reverb for classic rock & blues. I have a couple of old ones but I've had a drri and those are great too (traded it for a Friedman Runt 20 head, which is great too), ....but a Deluxe Reverb with a new Fulltone OCD version 2 & my Strat that has a Clapton pickup/boost assembly and it covers a huge amount of ground with some great tones with an appreciable range of usable volume levels. (Not a huge amount of clean headroom though but that doesn't bother me, I can hardly crank anything anymore)

Too often we don't share our OP resolution...

I ended up buying a used Marshall JC2525c and Katana Head for roughly $900 total. Seemed like I could cover everything easily.

Will keep an eye out on the Buddha and other suggestions though.

Top Bottom