$1500 for a digital rig...what would you get?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Mexicanbreed, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Mexicanbreed

Mexicanbreed Member

I am curious what this crowd would choose over more traditional options.

Ok, your budget is limited to $1500. I thought of limiting down to a thousand, but I think many would have problems sticking to it :laugh2: . So, with this budget you need to get the major components: guitar, amp, effects if desired. Peripherals such as string, setup, cables, etc. don´t count within the budget.

Also, I think it is necessary to define whether it´s a rig for playing at home or gigging--or both! I wish to see what other people post, and then probably I´ll post my home rig.

You can get used stuff as well. Would you buy a brand new Epiphone LP? Great! Would you rather scavenge for a used Trad? Cool! A great sounding tube amp? Go right ahead! Would you rather employ a modeling amp? Your choice!

2. RLD

RLD Member

For under $1000 you could get A Mexi Strat, Zoom G3X and AltoTS112A.
    Everything you need to get a great sound in a portable rig with small footprint.
    I play out with this rig on a regular basis.
    I also have a Kemper and CLR.

3. JJ321

JJ321 Member

I would look for used versions of these:

Gibson SG Std or older LP Studio
    Pod HD500x

Then get whatever studio monitor that I could afford with the rest. Something like a KRK Rokit 8. I've used a single Rokit 8 with all of my modelers and was pleased with the results.

4. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

If a guitar must be included in your budget, $1500 is not a lot to spend. Also you won't be playing gigs with studio monitors. Personally I would budget for the following:

$800 for a nice used guitar plus upgraded pickups.

$500 for a Blackstar ID60 and foot controller.

$200 for effects, either:
    • A low-priced used but good modeler that has quick, easy effects. My suggestions would be a Vox Tonelab EX or Zoom G5.
    • Standalone pedals, which you could probably afford a couple (wah + comp/OD)

The Blackstar ID60 is the first digital amp I've had (after a lot of others) that hasn't made me miss tubes. It is super easy to dial in and excels at all levels of the gain spectrum. It's loud enough for gigs, but it sounds good at low volumes, too.

The "stompbox" mode of the Tonelab EX is excellent (great compressor, wah, and dirt models including Klon), and the effects on the Zoom G5 are very good with more non-traditional possibilities and a true tube drive.

5. PRSCustom24

PRSCustom24 Member

I'd probably get a PRS SE Custom 24 (used) $550-ish, the Atomic Amplifire Pedal that's coming out in a few weeks ($600) and Carvin IEM900 in-ear monitors ($350).

http://www.atomicamps.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

I'm really really glad I don't have to make this decision LOL

7. Lain

Lain Member

I pretty much agree with the choices of RLD and slugworth.
    I would definitely put about two third of the money for a guitar.
    (For a home setup that is)

8. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

That's the OPs original thread, which was moved to the sound hound lounge for some reason. I don't blame him for starting another in modeling.

9. Lain

Lain Member

Well, his first thread didn't include the modeling part.

10. Jdstrat

11. Lain

Lain Member

Huh? I didn't move it and he addressed "this crowd." after it was moved.

12. Jdstrat

It was posted here first (I don't visit the sound hound lounge, and I posted in it), and in his first post he said "this crowd." That phrase made perfect sense in this forum.

[I pointed the link at his second post to show that it was moved, to his surprise.]

13. Lain

Lain Member

But whatever. I don't even understand what your point is.

14. Mexicanbreed

Mexicanbreed Member

i posted here first, since this is the forum I visit the most. I am interested in modeling since that´s what I use now and what I am trying to learn how to use properly. I own a RP360 and recently purchased S-Gear. I originally posted the same thread in MLP and I was interested in seeing the different options "that" crowd and "this" crowd" would come up with.

I do believe that people who post and read in this forum (Digital and Modeling Gear) would consider a tube amp if that´s the sound, feel, whatever they are after. My comment in no way was meant to disparrage modeling amps. I could have said "A great sounding tube amp? Go right ahead! Would you rather employ a great sounding modeling amp?" Since I originally posted in MLP, I knew that such a statement would very soon garner facetious or even obtuse comments from the "only-a-tube-is-good-enough" crowd.

Is my point understood or is another explanation necessary? I didn´t think it was necessary in the first place.

15. Mexicanbreed

Mexicanbreed Member

Somehow, I´ve alienated (or it seems so) two moderators with two different threads, 8 months apart. PM if necessary.

EDIT: I appreciate mods have a hard work and they volunteer their time to keep things in order. I do wonder why it was moved originally, allegedly assuming there was a mistake on my part, when posting here was fully intentional. Maybe taking the time to PM, or even post within the thread itself to clear things would have been a better choice.

16. Matt Gnarly

Matt Gnarly Member

Prices vary, but I'll base this on what I've actually owned and what I paid for it.

Guitar:
    • Fender 72 Deluxe Reissue - $500. Or
    • Gibson Les Paul Junior - $500
    Amp:
    • Fender DRRI Reissue - $500
    • Mesa 5:50 Combo - $700
    Pedals:
    • Catalinbread Formula 5 -$120
    • Line 6 M9 - $200
    • Catalinbread Naga Viper - $100

17. 71strat

71strat Member

Fender Cybertwin = $ 400- $500. Then whatever guitar you want for $1000. Although CT does have a Tube Preamp.

Steve Winwood has used a CT for over 10 Years. Ive had mine for 14.