$1500 Hiwatt 212 cabinet at MF!?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kodecar, May 26, 2008.

1. kodecar

kodecar Member

Occasionally, I check the clearance section of Musicians Fiend to see if there are any great deals. I once picked up a NIB Ibanez JS1000 there for $600 so it can happen.

As I am looking through the section on amplifiers, I came across this. I couldn't believe my eyes. This Hiwatt 212 cabinet lists for $2149.00 and is selling on a pre-order basis for $1459.00+$69.00 shipping. :eek:

There isn't really much more I can add to this. It just seems completely insane and I thought that i would share my incredulity.

[​IMG]
    Handmade craftsmanship, heart-stopping sound!
    This compact and powerful cabinet uses 2 Celestion speakers, rated at 16 ohms impedance, handles 150 watts with only two speakers. For use with any of Hiwatt guitar heads.

All Hiwatt heavy duty cabinets are constructed by hand, exactly like the Dave Reeves originals, of solid marine ply, with the classic Hiwatt design and craftsmanship that brought HIWATT to the forefront of amplification in the 1970's. There is only one Hiwatt!

Hiwatt Custom 150W 2X12 Celestion Guitar Extension Cabinet Features:

Handmade
    Solid marine birch cabinet
    150W power handling
    16 Ohms
    2x12 Celestion speakers

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...Celestion-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet?sku=481274

2. saltfuture

saltfuture Member

I agree. I have no idea who is buying the new Hiwatt stuff. It's ridiculously overpriced.
    You could buy original Harry Joyce wired units off ebay for less money and keep a good resale value!

3. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

Devalued dollar?

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

yeah, i don't think they're so expensive across the pond. As far as amps go, Reeves is generally a much better bet these days. As for cabs, that one is rated at 150 watts, meaning its probably loaded with G12t-75s - one of the nastiest speakers celestion makes if you ask me. Its self-described as the "death metal" speaker from celestion, isn't it?? Definitely not the kind of speaker I associate with hiwatt.

5. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I'd go Reeves too. He has a speaker designed to emulate the original Fanes. I think his 4x12s are under $1K.

6. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

You can get a Reeves 2x12 cab w/the Vintage Purple speakers for $799 brand new and I guarantee they're built better and sound better.

7. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

That's rediculous. The Reeves 2x12 cab which is probably built better and sounds better is half that price. Even if it sounds the same and is built no better for half the price I'm going with the Reeves.

8. kodecar

kodecar Member

I'm totally with you guys on Reeves. Just for the record, I was not considering buying this cab even before I saw the price.

I am looking really hard at a Reeves Custom 30 right now though! :AOK

9. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

yeah if hiwatt isn't careful they're gonna end up like marshall an old-dog company producing outrageously overpriced and inaccurate clones of their old amps coupled with half-assed new ones, while there are a plethora of extremely high quality clones out there for less cash.

10. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

They're already there. I just checked, a new DR-504 costs $2899.99. That's way more than what Marshall charges for their reissues.

11. kodecar

kodecar Member

And the Reeves CP-504 runs $1899.00. Yet another win for Reeves.

12. ironfly

ironfly Member

New Hiwatts are much better than the Reeves...perhaps,you've never tried one.

13. callaway_1

callaway_1 Member

WTF??? Sarcasm?

14. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

You must have a very dry sense of humor. A virtual Dust Bowl of a sense of humor.

15. kodecar

kodecar Member

I much prefer PCB's and ribbon cable to hand-wired, PTP too! :AOK

16. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

And they aren't even clones of the old ones..........

17. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

have any of you tried Reeves' take on the modded Marshall plexi? Now that looks tempting.

18. mr.blacksummer

mr.blacksummer Member

it's my #1 amp!
    I bet you'll dig it.

19. Natural Mystic

Natural Mystic Member

I have a Reeves Amps 4x12 with the purples, and I love it! It holds it's own with the old Hylight era stuff. Almost got suckered in to buying a MG Hiwatt cab locally till I tried it and it sounded like crap, Music Ground is not Hiwatt! They are poser's out to make a buck off the legacy of Dave Reeves.