1500W or 1900W?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by OrganicTimbre, Jan 24, 2012.

1. OrganicTimbre

OrganicTimbre Member

Just wanted to get some opinions.

I'm GASing for a high powered SS poweramp for my Axe-Fx, and I've got my eyes set on the Carvin DCM line. The DCM1540L is 1500W @ 8ohm and the DCM3000L is 1900W @ 8ohm. Both provide enough power to cause a mini earthquake in a 1 mile radius and more power than I will probably ever use. My 4x12 is rated for 1kW.

The 3000L allows 2ohm operation whereas the 1540L does not. Again, I will probably never need this, but maybe it can come in handy one day. Cost is not a consideration as both are well within my budget.

The downside to the 3000L is that it's even more overkill than I need and if I get careless enough I can more easily blow all my speakers. Other than that, why not get more amp if you can have it? Eh?

2. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I would highly recommend against ANYTHING from Carvin in this regard. In my experience it has been some of the most unreliable gear I've ever owned. I just recently through a 4-channel powered mixer in the friggin' garbage after being repaired once (taking 5 months!) and now acting up again. Not even worth the space the damn thing took up in my house.

For something like an AxeFx, I'd go with a powered monitor from Yamaha or a super high end outfit like QSC. I own three Yamaha pieces and they have always worked flawlessly, they sound fantastic and the bang-for-buck is outstanding.

I doubt you'd ever need 1500-1900W, but it doesn't hurt to have the reserve if you can afford it and don't mind the extra weight/size.

3. 335guy

335guy Member

1900 watts! And I thought the trend was toward low powered combo amps :confused:

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

What on Earth do you want that kind of power for? What kind of speakers do you have that can take 250 watts each? I probably wouldn't buy Carvin either.

5. grateful.ed

grateful.ed Member

In

1900w, if that's as high as they go

6. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

I would go for less watts and more quality. The low to mid priced switching power amps do not always sound good in all applications. I don't know your volume requirements are, but a lower power conventional amp may sound better.

7. OrganicTimbre

OrganicTimbre Member

My 4x12 is loaded with EVM12L type speakers; 2 Emi Deltalites, 1 Emi Delta Pro, 1 EVM12L. The lowest power speaker is the 250W Deltalite.

I've never heard these comments on Carvin before. I always thought they made high quality stuff, as their guitars are top notch and their guitar amps have a great reputation. Is it something about their pro audio line?

I took a look at QSC. Their specs look good except for the weight.

8. OrganicTimbre

OrganicTimbre Member

I went that route first when going about amplifying my Axe-Fx. I had a tube Carvin power amp and a Rocktron V300, 100W and 300W SS, both designed for guitar applications. They work fine, but they do still alter the sound out of the Axe-Fx and I found the Carvin 100W tube was a tad short on headroom. My speakers are slightly less efficient than say, a Vintage 30. High power is the way to go for my rig.

9. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

Lightweight= switching power supply, if that Carvin was a real 2k watt amp it will need its own 20 amp circuit to run it. A QSC RMW 2450 might work for you, some of the class D amps don't sound as good as their specs make them out. Good Luck.

10. woof*

woof* Member

In the late 80's early 90's rack days I used several different power amps, Crown, Crest, Dynaudio, even Mcintosh. The abosute best sounding and 100% dependable were BK Butler Mosvalve 500's. Those amps sound like tube amps and buddy they got the power in spades.
    I never blew one or had a single problem with them. Ive heard of a few problems with the Mosvalve 100's but not the 500's. I had two if the 500's and two Marshall 4x12's loaded with EV's and a couple different preamps. All through the sound spectrum they really sounded like tubes. Nice warm..like a really good Hiwatt or Marshall. If I was ever going down the rack road again I'd be hunting for those.

11. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Have you considered the Matrix GT800FX? ;)

12. OrganicTimbre

OrganicTimbre Member

Ha, nice.

13. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

I have a Carvin 3 way rig. It's great! Also, consider that it should be run stereo IMO, so that will cut your wattage in half. Most power rating are stated as max which would mean mono.

Get the three-way mains if it's for an Axe-Fx!!!!!!!

14. OrganicTimbre

OrganicTimbre Member

I'm not looking to go FRFR.

What's wrong with an SMPS power supply? Better voltage regulation, lighter weight. This is not a vintage tube rig where I want poor voltage regulation.

15. Bstring

Bstring Member

More than likely you will be using the power for extra headroom. Carvin puts out great equipment, despite what some on this page say. You will get good results from it. However, have you considered the 100 watt rack mount tube amp they make for just such applications. I don't use them personally, but have heard them used in a band format and it sounded great.

16. charley

charley Supporting Member

Is the weight of the rig an issue? For me, the appeal of a ss amp and/or modelers is portability. I imagine a 1900 watt power amp to be quite heavy, and require an additional 2RU's. The weight soured me on the Velocity/ART power amps.

What about a decent quality ss combo or head? That way, you can have a stand alone amp of high quality, and portability should you ever decide to go the pedals only route. Acoustic Image makes some high powered Class D heads and combos in the 400-800 watt range...plenty of headroom, that are very transparent.

17. OrganicTimbre

OrganicTimbre Member

Yeah, I sold my Carvin TS100 to get a DCM1540L. The TS100 had slightly less headroom than I would have liked. It got loud enough for big gigs, but I think started hitting saturation.

I went with the 1500W.