15w 1x10 combo for 3-piece band?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bentayuk, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

Will a 15w 1x10 combo be able to handle a 3 piece hard rock / metal band?

I’m the only guitarist, alongside bass and drums.

No cleans needed, just boosted high gain tones.

2. Al Rose

Al Rose Gold Supporting Member

Probably not. I have an Orange Rocker 15 combo that has a 10", and it barely kept up with a classic rock/blues band I was in. For harder stuff with a hard hitting drummer it would have been tough.

Al

3. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

It's gonna be close. If it isn't enough put the cab where can be heard better.

JasonElGato likes this.
  4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

I have an East 18 head w/110 cab and a Budda SD18 head with a 112 cab.. these both have tons of volume and are channel switchers and are really loud that could be used in any band.. however, not all 18 watters are the same... it really depends on the amp... the Orange Rocker 15 is 1/4 of the volume of the East and Budda.......
    What is the 15 watter you are using?
    I also have a Bassbreaker 18, 1/12 combo. Not loud enough for outdoor gigs without a 2/12 extension cab running along with the 12” combo speaker... barely keeps up...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  5. walshb

walshb Member

I'd go with the Budda SD18 if I were you.

Rod and Bluewail like this.
  6. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

I use a 15w 1x12 in 3 and 4 piece bands. Once in awhile 5 piece. And rarely turn up even to half. Sometimes I even am asked to turn down. It depends on how stupid everybody is about their volume. And if the drummer is a pounder or has some finese.

7. big-ez

big-ez Supporting Member

1x10 dr z carmen ghia, or maybe a monza.

8. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

You could consider an 18w and a 1x12 cab with a sensitive speaker.

YMMV

9. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

if you were playing blues or jazz, sure, but for metal, a 15w 10" combo will simply not have the thump required.

10. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

Yea, it’s the Rocker 15.

11. Falsecrack

Falsecrack Silver Supporting Member

Many moons ago, I gigged with my Gibson GA-15rv, in a 5 piece reggae-rock band. It held up fine volume wise. However, I suppose if the other members had made a concerted effort to bury me in the mix, it would’ve been more than possible to do so. Still, those Gibby Goldtone amps are seriously underrated.

Now with all that said, OP why are you choosing a 15w amp as your weapon of choice, given the type of music you’ll be playing? Or do you already have the amp, and just trying to find a consensus from other players who have done similar in the past?

If I were in your shoes, and looking for a compact yet powerful amp, id be looking for a Mesa Maverick 1x12.

In any event, I wish you luck on your endeavor. And remember, if you ain’t having fun, what’s the use?

12. deepcove17

deepcove17 Supporting Member

If it was just hard rock I think you would be fine, getting into metal territory might not work as well. I used a Pro Jr in a classic rock / hard rock band for a while and eventually changed to a 15 watt OR15 head with a 2x12 cab which made a huge difference over the 10" speaker.

13. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Unless you are going to mic the amp, that's probably not going to be enough.

14. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I thought you were joking with this post. . I mean who the heck would even want to use a 1x10 15 watter with a hard rock/metal band? BUT years ago we got to see a Run21 Reunion at a local bar, and if I remember right Dug Blair used a pair of Pro Jr's and they played Hard Rock and he sounded killer.. You might not have heard of him but they were a killer New England band, and he's in WASP now and has been forever. So meanwhile, it literally was the 1st time I'd EVER seen anyone use mini-amps to play heavy music (their music was originals similar to Extreme, Aerosmith ,etc) . . Anyway, yep it surely can be done. .Why would you want to? Not sure, but yep definitely done. I use Splawns and love them but the other day I dug out 1 of my 2 6x6 Trainwreck type amps and that amp is 20 watts max, and is loud as hell..

Enjoy :)
    Eric

15. d95err

d95err Member

I play hard rock with a 10” combo I built. It’s probably 10-15W. Rarely have to crank it. I do plug it in to a 2x12 sometimes though. Live, you will usually mic it anyway.

Why would you want to use a small combo? Let’s rephrase that - why would you want to lug around 100lbs more of equipment (big heads, 4x12s) if you don’t need to?

Peppy and Al Rose like this.
  16. Graham G

Graham G Member

I have 2 x 20Watt Marshall Heads(cheap ones)that I use with various 1 x 12" & neither of them are "loud" enough on their own with a medium hitting drummer & a driving bass,on the other hand the Mesa DC5(50w)i'm now using is way above the volume needed, tricky! :).

17. Rod

They have small transformers so you have less volume and headroom...You could add a 1/12 or ideally a 2/12 extension cab that would have to have the same impedance of your combo speaker.. that would make the impedance 1/2..ie.. 8 ohm combo, 8 ohm extension cab equals 4 ohms.. you would have more power and now with 2 12’s and 1 10” you would be moving more air.. might work... so much is in the design and components used..

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  18. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I think most 15w amps are too farty at full tilt to play hard rock/Metal

I had a 15w Trace Elliot Velocette with a 1x10 and it certainly was loud enough for any setting I had it in. I also had a Soldano Atomic 16 that was loud enough, just not loud and clean enough for my needs. So for sheer volume it's doable

19. The-Kid

The-Kid Member

Ac15C1

More than enough you can easily boost it into higher gain with one or two pedals. I can do it with my SD1W itself.

Or the OD808 and TS9 stacked give excellent results.

Plus Klone to juicen things up. Its a good a build and sounds as good as my Princetone Reissue Bordeaux.

Totally recomend the AC15C1. Master makes it versatile. Reverb compares favarobly against my PRRI not as good but still really good and super useable.

I would say the reverb is great and pretty much its more than decent and I feel it sounds great IMO.

Also Greenback is a plus.

Super solid build. Two channels. Takes pedals well easily boosted into higher gain, handles well can sound super loud at low volumes or just get super loud like BDRI loud when needed.

Its just a good amp and good build.

Also the Orange Dark Terrors are nice and id take that over the current Rockers but overall Id take the AC15 over either as I feel its a bit nicer for that classic rock tone and if wanted can easily be pushed into metal and higher gain.

Also the Blackstar Amps are worth considering. Id recomend the Marshall DSl40CR if you were looking for an amp that could just do what you want gain wise with minimal pedal support.

My 2 cents

Bentayuk likes this.
  20. Rod

Yup!