16 Ohm cab on a 4/8 ohm amp out?

Drown

Hi,
I want to buy a new amp but this one has only a 4 and an 8 ohm cab out. My favorite 4x12 needs 16 ohm. Is there a chance to combine the two? And how?

Thanks!

rooster

Will this cause no damage to the cab or the amp?

Depends on the amp. Lots of amps can take the mismatch just fine. Most good quality ones, anyway. Some can't. If you let the smoke out, you'll know.

Seriously though, it shouldn't be a problem, it just won't be as loud, and the tone will be different. You may like it better, you may not.

What you could do is wire a series/parallel switch onto your cabinet, and you could go between 4 and 16 ohms. I did that on mine just for funsies.

rooster.

mcdes

Member of no importance
sounds like you need to wire it in parrallel instead of series for 4ohms. in saying that..... the switch which goes between series and parrallel sounds cool, might just have to do that myself?!

Flameout12

I have a 1-12 8 ohm combo that will accept 4-16 ohms but has no switch. I also run an external speaker which I can plug into the other speaker jack with no problems.

However, I have an attenuator that I run sometimes so I have to run both of my 8 ohm speakers in either parallel (4 ohms) or series (16 ohms). Obviously all configurations sound different (4-8-16 ohms) even if I turn the attenuator off.

It does seem running the amp in 16 ohms is a little sweeter tone...at least it seems to add some of the attenuation effects to the amp at lower volumes. Does anyone else have this same experience? I think I have read a time or two where some other people prefer to run an 8 ohm amp into a 16 ohm speaker config.

bynt

This is what I did when I had that problem (I've sense gotten rid of the amp that had the 8 ohm out so it's not a problem). I figured it's probably just good to have one in the arsenal anyway for future reference/need. 100.00 and all is taken care of. Check it out:

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/zmatch.htm

Flameout12

This is what I did when I had that problem (I've sense gotten rid of the amp that had the 8 ohm out so it's not a problem). I figured it's probably just good to have one in the arsenal anyway for future reference/need. 100.00 and all is taken care of. Check it out: https://taweber.powweb.com/store/zmatch.htm
Thanks looks nice.
I'm also considering grabbing 2 more Warehouse GBs at 16 ohms and wiring them in parallel.
I'll figure something out in the next few weeks. :RoCkIn

Trending Topics

Top Bottom