16ohm Hotplate connects to 16/8+8 or 16/16+16?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kodax, Apr 10, 2008.

1. kodax

kodax Member

Can I connect one 16ohms alt. two 8ohms cabinets to my 16 ohms THD Hotplate (i.e. like a regular 2x16ohms amp output).
    Or is it for one 16ohms alt. two 16 ohms cabinets?

2. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

3. trazan

trazan Member

The outputs are in parallel...two 8 ohm cabs will give you a 4 ohm load, not advicable.

One step in either direction is usually fine. Meaning, with your 16 ohm Hotplate, the amp out and speaker load could be either 16 or 8 ohm. IOW; one 16 ohm cab, two 16 ohm cabs, or one 8 ohm cab.

4. CC GunZ

CC GunZ Member

Whenever I run one head with two 16 ohm cabs, I set the head to 8 ohms. I have an 8 ohm Hotplate for this application but you might be able to use a 16 ohm Hotplate - I just prefer not to risk it. I pasted info from the Hot Plate owners manual below. You can find the full version at http://www.thdelectronics.com/pdf stuff/HP Manual 060405.pdf

II. AS A POWER ATTENUATOR TO TWO SPEAKER CABINETS:
    Same as above, except connect cables from both speaker outputs on the Hot Plate to your
    two speaker cabinets. These output jacks are wired in parallel, so if both speaker outputs
    are being used, the 2Ω Hot Plate would be needed for two 4Ω speaker cabinets, the 4Ω​
    Hot plate for two 8Ω cabinets and the 8Ω Hot Plate for two 16Ω cabinets.

5. tonecrazy

tonecrazy Supporting Member

Your speaker ohm can be greater than the amps. Never the other way around. Set the cab for 8ohms and get a 8 ohm hot plate and plug the 2 16ohm cabs in the hot plate.

6. trazan

trazan Member

Wrong, we're talking tube amps here. One step in each direction is usually fine, and up is no better than down.

7. kodax

kodax Member

That would be great if I could use two 16 ohms, but you are using the word "usually". Does that mean that you are not quite sure?
    And what about an 8 ohm Hotplate, do you think it would be ok to connect 16 ohm cab to that one as well?

8. trazan

trazan Member

I'm using my 8 ohm Hotplate for everything :)

I've never experienced any problems going one step outside rated impedance in either direction, and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone else either. Amp or tubes may work a little harder, but if it means anything in the long run...I dunno. I'm just a guitarist :banana