• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

16ohm in '65 Deluxe Reverb

Ramhead

Hello,

I'm wondering is it safe to run 16ohm Greenback in '65 Deluxe Reverb Ri?

from my understanding it is but I just wanted to be sure.

And while im at it, what speaker would you recommend for a nice jangly open sound with tight bottom end?

thanks! :)

Austinrocks

Its designed for 8 ohms, 16 ohms wont hurt the amp, just reduce its power by about half, so it wont overdrive the greenback. a tech can adjust the bias to get your power back for you, or you could just buy an 8 ohm greenback and save the money and trouble, if your testing the greenback, the amp wont drive it hard enough to hear the classic greenback tones, so not really getting the full range of test, green backs are great speakers, I would get the right though.

reverse the polarity on the speaker, its safe and easy, and generally gets you more better bass, and tone, you may find you have the speaker you want in the amp.

PremiumPlus

Its designed for 8 ohms, 16 ohms wont hurt the amp, just reduce its power by about half, so it wont overdrive the greenback. a tech can adjust the bias to get your power back for you, or you could just buy an 8 ohm greenback and save the money and trouble, if your testing the greenback, the amp wont drive it hard enough to hear the classic greenback tones, so not really getting the full range of test, green backs are great speakers, I would get the right though.

reverse the polarity on the speaker, its safe and easy, and generally gets you more better bass, and tone, you may find you have the speaker you want in the amp.
Sorry, the part about adjusting the bias and getting your power back is non-factual. Your power will be reduced, and aside from replacing the output transformer or the speaker there is no magic a 'tech' can wield to get back power lost by an impedance mismatch.
The good news is that you won't hurt your amp. I've got a vintage '67 DR and I have a G12H30 Anniversary that I drilled 4 extra mounting holes in and installed in the amp. It's a 16 ohm speaker but the amp sounds so sweet with it, and it's really quite loud. I can always mic it if need be but so far so good.
My guitar teacher has been running his JCM 800 with the output transformer set at 4 ohms into a 16 ohm load. I'm an EE and do all his electronic work for him and I advise against it, but he says he has done this for many years without trouble. It really does sound great, I must admit. But a 4x mismatch is pushing things a little too far.
Anyhow, what you're doing is cool.

Trending Topics