18 or 20 watt Marshall clone for under $1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by IPlayHamers, Jul 25, 2006.

1. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I've played the reissue Marshall combo and 20 watt head and while they both sound amazing, I don't want to pay the money they are asking. Please reccomend an alternative that will deliver the tone of these amps, but for less money. Also if you can include the web addresses of the builders that would be a great help.

Thanks,

IPH

2. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Search the web for Trinity amps, in Canada. They sell one w/out speaker, and the sound clips are great.

3. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

Ugly amps has one. You have to e-mail for the price. I was going to get one (I think they're like 550), but I hit a wall financially and don't have it for amps that I really don't need right now. I don't have the URL but you can google it.

D

4. Trout

Trout Member

Why not build a Kit?
    They are fairly easy to assemble, It does not require a great deal of time, and they sound great!!

Or,
    Get a Kit and contract out the assembly.Lots of guys build a pretty fine amp from kits like weber sells.
    Trout

5. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

There are a LOT of 18-watt kits out there.

Why not build one of your own and save even more?

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

To me the GDS Kit is the Kit to build. The Kit Comes with everything but the Cab and Speaker. You can get a Mojo Cab and maybe an Eminence Wizard Speaker for a good price.

It would take you some time and envolve some work but would be well worth it.

Also so far the Least Expensive Marshall Clones I've seen with all AAAAA+ Grade Parts is the SDG Vintage Amps. Steve is an awsome guy and very easy to work with. You might could get an 18 Watt Head from him and find yourself a deal on a samll cab. www.sdgvintage.com

7. 56_Special

56_Special Member

8. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

If you guys want to still see me here, you don't want me building any amps. I can barely change my own strings, much less build an amp :D

Like a good racing driver, I'd rather concentrate on the driving and leave the mechanical work to the pit crew.

Thanks for the suggestions though and keep em coming.

IPH

9. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

10. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

11. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

Search the forum for "Guru tone" ( aka Eric Hartry ) lemme know if you cant find him and I'll send you his email

I sold him a really great 2-12 18 watt combo in a repro "aged" marshall cab made by Peter @ Heritage amp

It sounds REALLY great - I wish I could afford to buy it BACK from him but dont have the $$. I had it built by Norm Frech ( a senior member of the 18watt.com forum ) - a mixture of GDS /Kombo King kits- it's really quiet and records SO well. I MISS that amp

Listen to the Dual Drive clips I did for Scotty@Pro Analog. That is a tele thru that 18 watter amp

He's in SoCal and is selling it for $1000 ( shipped - I THINK )

I see you're in MD. Do you know Mark "F-ing" Williams ?? ( Veneman's ).. he's a close friend and has played that amp and can vouch for its greatness !!

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Do a search on the web for "Farshall", a Blues Jr. modded into single channel 18w specs and a happening little piece for $350 or so. He's not currently building them but I bet some of the other guys at the 18w forum would do one for you if you asked.

13. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Member

I have an 18 watt Marshall 2-12 clone for under $1000. The one that Danocaster is talking about! It's Killer! Let me know if you are interested? I had it posted for sale on the amps and cabs emporium.

14. myles111

myles111 Member

The 18 watter is considered by many to be the better of the two amps. It has a vacuum tube rectifier and is a bit more touch sensitive than the 20 watt solid state rectified model. The trem on the 18 watt amp is fun too but the value lies in the EZ81 rectifier.