18 Watt Amp: Greenback or V30?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RockStarNick, Oct 14, 2008.

1. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

So, I'm going to be getting an 18 Watt EL84-based amp pretty soon.

My question is: Is a lower wattage Greenback (25W) unequivocally better, or would a higher wattage speaker, like a Vintage 30, have any advantages too?

I'm a big, big fan of the V30. TO my ears, it sounds perfect. The Greenback sounds good, but a little fuzzy on the top end, and a little mushy on the bass. Cool, but definitely not my FAVORITE sound in the world.

Would a V30 be WAY too much speaker for this amp to handle? Or, would it hold up better to higher volumes, and give less cone cry?

Your thoughts!!!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  2. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Sounds like you're a V30 guy. I would stick with the V30. Although the G12H30 sounds killer in these amps once broken in.

3. stekks

stekks Member

+1 on the H30... But if you are a V30 guy... go for it ;)

4. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Who making an 18W EL34 amp?

5. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

DOH... TYPO. Sorry Donbarzini. I corrected it. I'm so used to typing EL34, my hands are just on autopilot!

So what you're saying is, the high wattage of the V30 won't result in complete crappiness, despite being driven by much lower wattage.

I guess a 4x12 of V30s and a 60 Watt head would *KINDA* be the same thing? Either way, you're not driving the speaker to it's full potential. Would this give more clean headroom?

6. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

No problem at all Nick, i was just curious.

7. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Greenies and V30's are both sound better as pairs or quads <IMO> Personally I would look at other options for a single 12", like the H30 as mentioned or an alnico variant.

8. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

I have a Mojotone GB inspired speaker (BV-25M) to go with my 10 watt Marshall voiced Rockytop based on recommendations by fellas here, including Randall Aiken, and it's a killer speaker in a 1x12 situation. I had a 75 watt Wizard before but really think the lower powered speaker is a much better match. I love the mids on the Mojotone - I run 'em on 10! It's tight in the low end as well and does not get fizzy.

9. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

G12H30. Why not a hellatone from Avatar? They are just broken in G12H30's. Oh yeah :AOK

10. andrekp

andrekp Member

I run an 18 with a closed 2x12 of v30s and it sounds beautiful. Probably doesn't make much of a dent in the handling capacity of the pair though. If you like v30's, I wouldn't worry immediately about having to get something else. It's efficient too, so it's damn loud!

A 2x12 with a V30 and G12H30 is a really nice combination as well.

You only get "more" clean headroom in comparison with an amp powerful enough to be causing speaker distortion - which an 18 watt won't with a V30.

Andre

11. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

12. Msawsotredr

Msawsotredr Member

You should check out the new jensen jet stuff. The 'Electric Lightning' sounds like a v30 but has 70w and the highs are a little less biting. I was at the LA amp show last weekend and you could hear the jensen booth from the lobby.

13. blueprint

blueprint Member

I have a Reinhardt 18 watts head with power scaling.

I use it with 3 differents cabs:
    -at home, a Marshall 1974CX "handwired", from bedroom to mid level. This cab is open with a "special greenback".
    -on stage, a Marshall 1922 2x12 or a Marshall 4x12 (ref: ?), both loaded with 75 watts Celestions, levels from mid to wild open, depending on the place, the PA, whatever...

My opinion:
    Big differences, depending on the the volume and the technology (open, close, one or more loudspeakers...). At full level, the 4x12 is the best...

This said:
    Are you plaining to use this amp in a band context?
    Do you play loud?
    Do you favor volume, or tone?

14. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

You could ask e.g Ted Weber to make you a lower watt V30 for you. Perhaps you want a larger dustcap for it too, as lower watt coils sound brighter. You can reach Ted at www.tedweber.com

I'm so used to taking custom features for granted I'm never caught up in this type of dilemma you describe in this thread, but then I'm a huge fan of Weber speakers.

15. Msawsotredr

Msawsotredr Member

Is Ted still alive? lol. Ive been hearing that he's really sick lately and people have been having trouble getting orders

16. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

And consider a WGS Veteran-30 @ $65. I've seen more than one poster who replaced their V30s with the WGS version. Good speaker!

17. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

My Weber 18 watt TMB came with an alnico Silver Bell. This is an outstanding speaker in this format.

That said, I tried a Heritage Greenback. The greenback stayed. The midrange and extra "crunch from the GB are fantastic. The GB also has less bass response (that the Silver Bell), which works well in the 1-12 combo.

I also have a Hellatone 60 (V30) and a G12H80, both spent some quality time in my 18 watt clone. The Heritage Greenback trumps them all. Your ears may vary :)

18 watt clones have a few different component values here and there, along with slightly different cabinet dimensions...all these differences can make it or break it with whatever speaker you choose.

[​IMG]

18. HHB

HHB Member

my Tophat 112 has a GB, I LOVE it

19. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

My 18 watt clone is built into a bluesbreaker narrow cabinet. I have a heritage g12h in there and a mcgourty greenback which is a boutiquish greenback. Sounds killer. One day ?I would like to try the h and a blue

20. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

He's still hanging in there. I don't think his breathing problems would have caused any disruption of orders though, having quite a number of staff under his helm. Looks like he's moving closer to the end of his line though, so I'd take every opportunity of asking him what ever I may want to know.

BTW one has to ask one or two questions at a time and be clear about what you want to know from him. Questions may otherwise go unanswered - speaking from experience.

He's been very helpfull about my new speakers now on order, the ones I call Green Jelly and Green Giant (essentially a G12M-75 with a 30W coil and large dustcap, and a G12H-55 with a 75W coil and large dustcap)