18 watt build

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by grizdeluxe, Feb 13, 2012.

1. grizdeluxe

grizdeluxe Member

Received my little box 'o goodness today from Triode Electronics. It's a TMB on one channel and Vol Tone on the other channel. Transformers are Classic Tone which I hear are pretty good. Precut aluminum chassis arrives tomorrow, and then I'm good to go.

[​IMG]

I'll be building this pretty much stock to begin with and then some tweaking later to dial it in if need be. I like the 18 watt Marshall sound and this format is perfect for me for rehearsals and gigs.It's going in a custom head shell that I'm making out of finger jointed Black Walnut. I'm also incorporating a Hall VVR on the back for dialing in volume levels.

More pics to come when I make some progress.

2. Koop

Koop Member

Cool. I look forward to following your build. I did an 18 watt Trinity, absolutely love it. Taking it to an audition on Saturday.

3. 5E3

5E3 Member

Excellent! Looking forward to your build diary. :beer

4. grizdeluxe

grizdeluxe Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just starting on the turret board. At this stage everything is unsoldered and a little sloppy. I need to spend some time straightening things out. All of my resistors and caps wrap around the turrets for a strong connection.

I'm really pleased with the Mojo Aluminum chassis. Its very thick, and all cutouts are clean and precise.

Next up I start wiring the tube sockets and trannies, as well as the pots and jacks.

This is fun stuff!

5. grizdeluxe

grizdeluxe Member

It's been a little over a week but I finished the amp! I'm very pleased with the finished product. It fired up first time with no issues after going over it probably 3x looking for something that wasnt right or soldered poorly. I cant stress enough that wrapping your connections for a solid mechanical hold before soldering is key to getting it right the first time. I watched a couple of vids on soldering and bought a decent Weller soldering station. Once you get the basics down with a decent iron its very easy.

Here's the turret board getting ready for the flying leads.
    [​IMG]
    Big mistake here. I probably would have benefited from attaching my leads to the turret board first, but it wasnt a PITA doing it this way.

Here's a fully completed gut shot. I also learned a lot about proper wire layout. It isnt super tidy but the amp is very quiet at idle.
    [​IMG]
    Next amp I'm going to preplan my wiring scheme better and try for a super tidy build.

Finally here is the amp all tubed up and ready to go.
    [​IMG]
    I have some really nice Black Walnut Ive been saving for this project. I just have to do the fingerjoints and build it next week.
    I went with the standard 1974x circuit on the Vol and Tone side and it sounds just like a good 1974x. Bright and clean at lower volumes, but slowly morphs into a nice crunch as you wind up the volume, but there is alway some warmth to the tone. Very happening with single coils. The TMB side is slightly crunchier with more upper mids, but the tone stack allows for plenty of tight bass. I am running Bass barely on and it's plenty of thump. What I really like is blending the channels. Whatever amount of crunch I dial in on the TMB side, I can blend in warmth and fullness with the Vol Tone side. Very nice! I thin a big part of the quality of the tone copmes from the Classic Tone transformers. My Ceriatone had a bit of shrillness and buzz that I would guess is from the transformers because this amp doesnt have any of that. There quite a bit of single note clarity to the tone even when playing at high volumes.

I'll get some pics up next week when the cabinet is finished and I have the chassis installed in it. I'll also put up a decent Youtube vid.

6. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Nice job. Every build I've done I've known I'd do it slightly different if I had the chance to do it over. That's the learning part that I dig.

7. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

nice job! how much did it cost, not including your time, to build the amp would you say? i've considered doing it myself, but have never motivated my fingers to enter my credit card number.

8. grizdeluxe

grizdeluxe Member

Triode is selling the 18 watt kit minus chassis for 314.95. Thats with the Classic Tone transformers which I think is important.
    80.00 for the chassis
    80.00 for faceplates front and rear
    70.00 for tubes
    I think thats it. I make my own cabinets so I'm not sure what cabs go for.

The only thing I would not use is the wire they provided. It's a little flimsy and frays easily. Hoffman sells really nice cloth push back wire and its not that expensive.

9. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing. I love build threads.

10. drewl

drewl Member

Very nice for a first build.

If you want to add a master volume, replace the two 470k grid resistors on the EL84's input grids to ground with a dual 500k pot.

A nice sounding master that is totally stock when all the way up so you can jam away at low volumes.

11. grizdeluxe

grizdeluxe Member

Thanks.

It does have a Master Volume on the TMB side. Ive read about the dual 500k pot MV mod. I'll have to look into that as I'm still dialing in the TMB channel.

12. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Hey there - transferred in from your post on my build thread. :)

So tell me, how's this thing sound? Does it satisfy that Marshall itch?

13. grizdeluxe

grizdeluxe Member

I think so. The two channels are a nice blend of warmth and crunch. It's really a beautiful sound when you blend the channels. Vintage Bluesbreaker to Plexi type of tone. I have a VFE The Scream TS type pedal that is absolute heaven through this amp.

Next on the list is a Hall VVR that I purchased but decided to leave out until after the amp was built. After playing through it i think it will be a nice addition to adjust my volume after dialing in just the right amount of breakup.