18 Watt Clone OD/Distortion recomedation needed

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Great King Rat, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Great King Rat

Great King Rat Member

I recently acquired a 18watt TMB 2*12 combo. I love the crank tone, however, it is way to loud at home. I need something that will goose the tubes. It has to be quiet, transparent, go from clean boost to bluesy dirt and it has to cover early Maiden, Priest stuff as well. Lastly, it has to sustain as well.

Is there a pedal that will do all of this which is also a good match to the 18watter?

Thanks

2. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Klon Centaur likes low wattage amps for sure. I think it would kill with your amp, but not totally sure about Maiden/Priest. It depends on how much gain your amp will do on its own for the Centaur to blend with.

3. Great King Rat

Great King Rat Member

I do not think I've that much money to throw in one pedal. I wish I could though.

Any other suggestions?

4. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

DocRock,

The Klon also likes a dirty amp to work on. The 18 watter is going to be pretty loud already then.

Great King Rat, try out the OCD. Could easily cover blues to classic heavy.

5. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

If you could the Klon kills, but I understand. Try a Barber Small Fry, $150.00 and tons of gain and some smooth dirt as well it will amke your amp sound HUGE!!!:BOUNCE

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

EL84 amps like the Crowther Hotcake, which goes from completely neutral with the presence control all the way down. Then you can add some mid focus with the presence. The drive is still very clear sounding. I sold mine to get the Bluesberry version, which is a bit smoother in the gain. It kills with the Carmen Ghia.

7. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Try a Gaspedal Carb but I'd have to say, 18 Watters don't sound that good to me unless fairly cranked, why resist the obvious! Crank it up! :D

8. ausguitarman

ausguitarman Member

+1 on the Hotcake.

Mild to wild and I can even get some great fuzz out of mine.

9. msbeckley

msbeckley Member

So do any of y'all think these same pedals might do the same thing with a Victoria Victoriette? 20 Watt, 2-EL84's, 2-10's. Huge overdriven sound at 9/10 out of 12 which is fine in most places. In a work session with acoustic players a bit much. Overdrive vs distortion preferred here. Warmth preferred over shrill. '78 Tele. Price not an issue. Insights appreciated. Thanks.

10. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

IMO the whole point of having a small amp is to crank them way up. Pedals are great, but nothing sounds like a cranked amp. :AOK

11. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Try a Throbak Overdrive Boost....the clips on his site were recorded with an 18 watt clone.

12. Great King Rat

Great King Rat Member

Thanks guys,

Anyone tried a Foxrox zim with the 18watt. I'm thinking the CS card and TAR card would make a killer combo.

I'll look into hotcake and the others mentioned too.

13. Great King Rat

Great King Rat Member

Bump.

Do yo guys think foxrox zim will get me there? Any other suggestions?

14. sweetpea

sweetpea Supporting Member

I run my 18 watt 2x12 clone with a Eternity and COT 50 along with delay and chorus in front of the amp. My strat sounds fantastic with this set-up. It enables a really nice glassy clean tone with just a touch of Hendrix with the COT always on-clean or "on the verge of breakup" depending on the guitars volume knob. I then juice the COT with the Eternity on various levels of gain depending on what the tune requires. A hint of delay and chorus deepens the tone substantially. Throw in a picture wah to complete the package. :roll