18 Watt clone speaker suggestion

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by skeeterbuck, Mar 31, 2004.

1. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I am planning in the near future to build a 18 clone, but I'm having trouble deciding which speaker combination to use. I have always been a Fender amp kind of guy and am not as famillar with works good with a Marshall sound.

These are the three combinations that I am currently considering, 1x12, 2x10, or 2x12.

Also, what make of speakers should I use? Celestion? Weber? !!!

So, what would you folks recommend and why? Thanks!!

Chuck

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Need an idea of what tone you're going for... classic rock, metal, or whatever before I'd recommend a speaker, not to mention what guitars you'll be using with the amp.... post a couple of clues...

3. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Hey scumbag, yea I guess that would help, DUH!!!!!

Classic rock (Stones, Beatles etc...) with a Les Paul with humbuckers and P-90,s and a tele.

Thanks, Chuck

4. Scumback Speakers

OK, thanks for the update. If it were me, I'd probably head towards a G12H30 Celestion, or the Weber C1230. They have a better low end response, with a more efficient design (100db output vs. the Greenback 97db) which translates to more volume. The low end is better than the Greenback.

If you wanted that similar tone, but with a tad more clean headroom, I'd go with the Classic Lead 80. If you need help figuring out some speaker sounds, I've got a speaker soundfile page on my amp site (LP with Voodoo PAF style pickups for the soundfile guitar). It covers alot of the Celestions, old and new. Good luck with your decision.

http://www.scumbagamps.com/Speakers/speakerlist.html

5. stekks

stekks Member

I have a Weber C1230 in my 1x12" 18 watt clone & pretty happy with it!

6. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

My Aiken Invaders seem to like Celestion G12H30's if that helps.

P.S. I am a classic rock/Jimmy Page wannabee.

Scott

7. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

what about two G12H30'S?

8. Scumback Speakers

A client of mine bought two Scumback G12H clones for his Blockhead, and says they kick ass pretty well in that amp... they're the 50 oz. magnet like the G12H30. He bought bass cone 55 hz models, and the Celestion is a 75hz cone model, so it's brighter, but they both should sound good with an 18 watt clone amp.

9. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

I have an early 70s G12H30 in mine and love it. I had a reissue in it prior and thought it was good, but the real deal is better.

Some like Greenback but it's just not strong enough in the bottom end for me.

10. Scumback Speakers

+1 on this opinion. But there are some who like the earlier breakup, and mid tones of the G12M "Greenbacks" vs the later breakup, and better balanced (and more low end) of the G12H "Greenbacks"... just personal preference.

11. goneracin

goneracin Member

I think the greenbacks are a little too mushy in an open back 18 watt. I would second the g12h route, or go with an alnico speaker, such as the weber 30 watt alnico bluedog. That is a very sweet speaker with an 18 watt style amp.
    Jims Scumbacks should sound stellar in an 18 watt style combo as well. I would go for the bigger magnet, bigger voicecoil dustcover version
    :dude

12. hasserl

hasserl Member

Very cool clips Scumbag! I really like the G12H30RI clip, very nice! I'd love to hear some clips of your new speakers too. Let us know if you get some posted.

13. Scumback Speakers

I just bought a Mackie Spike, and am still setting it up. I'll probably get to clips in three weeks when the next batch of speakers come in. I've only got one of my own right now, period!

But I'll get on it as soon as I can. Probably by the end of February, or early March. Thanks for the nice comments.