18 watt clones-yes / 20 watt clones-no?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Braciola, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

There seems to be a lot of builders making 18 watt marshall clones..... but is there anyone making a 20 watter like the 2061X?

2. loverocker

loverocker Member

DC (Cornell) makes an amp that (supposedly) covers both bases.

3. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

The common thought is the 18 watters sound a lot better than the stock 20 watters. I'd guess this is why you see all the 18 watt clones. Just a guess. I'd think you could get most of the cloner guys to build you a 20 watter though.

4. Braciola

Thanks Mark,
    I happen to prefer the more aggressive Plexi crunch of the 20 watter with the solid state rectifier.
    I'll have to ask some builders if they can do that for me.

5. Braciola

Thanks, I'll look into it.

6. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

The 2061 has the solid state rectifier and is more aggressive. The 1974, and it's clones, use a tube rectifier and is supposedly more bluesy. I'm really jonesing for one of those. I'm thinking Balls. . .(what a great name for an amp!)

7. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

What a coincidence I find this thread.

Yesterday I went to the music store to listen to some old funky little amps for recording like Supros, Magnatones and Danelectros. One little Magnatone was kind of good sounding, but not stellar, the rest I tried were not as good as that. At one point I switched from a Telecaster to a Heritage Les Paul Junior which turned out to be a fantastic guitar. Then I look over and see the new handwired 20 watt Marshall 2061X with matching cab and thought, what the hell, I'll probably hate it because I never heard an 18 watt Marshall I liked, why would this be any different, but I'll give it a try. So plugged the Les Paul Junior, (which at this point I'm absolutely in love with), into the 20 watter and started blowing through it. It's got 2 channels, each channel with only a volume and tone knob, I start with the channel to the right. I was very surprised, it was much better than I thought it would be, not enough to make me buy the amp, but very cool, could have used the Marshall shrang but very sweet. Next I try the channel in the middle of the faceplate. Keano would have been proud of the way I said "whoa", this amp wants to rock! I could hear a little voice from spirit of the amp speaking to directly to my mind saying, "dime me", so that's what I did, damn it sounded great! Completely dimed it didn't mud out, didn't have too much distortion, surprisingly loud, enough to hang with a loud drummer, but what I was impressed with is it didn't have the mushy bottom end you usually get with EL84s in cathode bias. I must say I think that big 2 x 12" cab gave it the support it needed, and the P90 with the Les Paul Jr. were getting along with the amp like newlyweds.

Don't listen to this amp wanting a 20 watt version of a 50 watt plexi Marshall, it doesn't do that, neither does the 18 watt for that matter, these are completely different circuits. This amp has a voice of it's own and quite a fantastic and unique voice it is!

8. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

The Rocca Custom 18 is based on a Marshall 20watt lead,
    not 18watt.

9. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Did you try bridging the channels together? It gets even better :)

More importantly, did you buy it??

--chiba

10. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I could give it a try, but I've never liked the tone of bridging channels together on other amps, sounds aweful on 50 watt Plexis in my opinion. But I should try it, who knows, it may be the exception to my rule.

I didn't buy it, but would have had I not already spent a hell of a lot of money on gear lately. I have a Suhr Classic being built, a Tele project going, and a bunch of money tied up in 3 amplifier building projects I'm working on. That said, I might just buy the 2061X with cab anyway, but only if my rational mind looses grip of my wallet.

11. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Bridging on the 2061X definitely sounds good. I always run mine that way!

--chiba

12. goneracin

goneracin Member

Not all of the 18 type amps are direct clones. There are different varieties of the amp, and some have a more aggressive tone and feel by nature.
    Having said that, it would be a pretty easy thing to convert one to solid state recto to tighten it up too.

13. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Yeah, some have just a volume and one tone knob per channel, which I believe is more like the actual Marshall 1974. While others have the Treble, Mid and Bass knobs and a master volume. Then again, I recently found the Gabriel amps page and was blown away by the voxy nature of their 18 watt voxer.