18 Watt Komet w/ ES-345

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by Ulysses, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

Thanks to Hogy for giving me the prototype to beta test. Four years in the making and you will have to hear and also see how it works to understand why. I recorded this track with my main squeeze 1964 ES-345 using an Ultimate Attenuator to bring it down to "maybe" a little louder than cranked tweed Champ levels. The cab has Celestion Golds. The clip does not showcase this new Komet's insane gain structure. It's an ingenious design with Volume, Tone and a Saturation knob that let's you set the input level with enough gain on tap to singe your hair. No joke, it's out of control. It cleans up with major headroom when you back the saturation off and delivers cleans as sweet and powerful as a good blackface Super Reverb. The "Saturation" knob is on the chassis' top on the prototype but I was told it will be located on the front in production.

Props to my great band for churning out a cool backing track jam on the spot at this week's rehearsal again. These guys are the riffsters and never at a loss for a groove. I came back late at night and wanked over the track using my ES-345 on the neck pickup first, then the bridge pickup.

I really need to do some more tracks to capture the massive tonal range of the Komet. Here I rolled my 345's tone way down because the jam track was smokey sounding and I thought it called for a dark, overdriven tone. Two mics on the cab, a Beta 58 with the screen pulled off point blank on the grill and an SM-81 about 3' out to the side. Straight into my Roland recorder and I added a little onboard reverb. I've grown so accustomed to using this little amp for every chore I've done for the last few days I don't know how I'll live without it when I have to give it back.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=6711488&q=hi

[​IMG]

2. Ricky_Rockhardo

Ricky_Rockhardo Member

Thanks, again. Did Hogy give any preliminary release date info, 3rd quarter, 4th quarter?

3. shuie

shuie Member

Man, thats cool. Nice work, guys! Very cool deisgn, and great playing.

4. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

It's smaller then I thought it would be which is cool, suppose it will be in a smaller badger like head.

Very nice fat rich sound btw! If you ever get around to it would love to specifically hear the over the top gain and super clean big headroom sounds.

5. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

What tubes does it take....they don't look like EL84s in the pic.

6. fatback

fatback Member

Cool track. I can't wait for the gainier clips to come.

7. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Damn that sounds good!

8. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

That is a sweet tone indeed! I wish I could hear this thing cranked with a Les! That's the true test for me. I'm hoping for Concorde-like tones in a small package.

9. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I wonder if the lower power, and therefore lower vibration, might allow Hogy to offer it in a combo as well. I do understand what is better about separate cabs, but the convenience of a lightweight combo is hard to pass on.
    Ullysees, thanks for the clips. Your playing and tone is perfect on this as well as on the Attenuator thread.

10. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks for the clip. Amp sounds great and looks great being so small!

Would love to hear something that demonstrates the entire gain range.

11. s2khawk

s2khawk Member

Komets are about no masters and attenuators of all kinds kill tone so I'd love to hear it with no attenuator and see how much hair/chime is on tap! thanks for posting.

12. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Sounds great! :AOK

I'm listening to it again, though, just to be sure.:)

13. Blueshound

Blueshound Member

That sounds great! What was the recording setup for the band? That is a great sounding track. If I could get my recordings to sound like that, I would be a very happy man.

Lee

14. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Sounds great. I am interested in hearing it on full scream though.

Mike

15. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Hard to tell what the amp sounds like with the backing band. Seriously, a couple lead lines, and a couple power chords with the amp by itself would give a clearer idea of what the amp sounds like.

Great playing btw, just let the amp stand on it's own in the clips!

-Rich

16. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

It's a bit of a whipsaw isn't it? You do it alone and people say, but I want a "real world" example. Not dissing, just saying.

I felt like you could hear it pretty clearly. I was surprised at how fenderesque you were able to get it to be.

17. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

Sounds good. I'd love to hear what it can do when gained up to the "insane" level!

18. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

19. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I liked the Marshall more, but still it sounds good!

20. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

Hi Jack, you haven't heard anything yet... My Marshall 2061x is very good but honestly can't hang with this amp in any catagory. Number one, my Marshall is totally unusable with my ES-345 in the neck position at the level of this clip. It would have been total muddy crap.

There was really no intention to try and do a "official Komet clip" here. By the time the amp is released there will be plenty of better clips. I have the amp to try out and get some impressions so I put it to practical use. I didn't want to try and blow the doors of the thing on the first shot. As one guy just wrote it's surprising how Fenderesque the amp gets.... I took it barely to overdrive in this clip with the attenuator but I can get the most 6L6 sounding, big, fat, muscular, blackface Super Reverb tone. It has huge headroom if structured that way with the "Saturation" control. It makes my blackface Deluxe sound like a toy, honest. Something I would have thought impossible for a double EL84 amp. The next clip will be with GAIN. I've never heard an 18w amp even in the same building in the gain territory. The way the gain structure or "Saturation" control works is pretty amazing. The amp will go to extremes like I've yet to hear, pretty crazy actually. This little amp reminds me of the rabbit in "The Holy Grail".